Sep 30, 2013, 11:33 PM EDT
Game 163 is in the books and the Rays are still alive.
David Price went the distance in tonight’s tiebreaker game against the Rangers to secure a 5-2 victory. The Rays will advance to the AL Wild Card game on Wednesday against the Indians in Cleveland.
Price hurled 118 pitches in the complete game victory. The southpaw didn’t have his best stuff, inducing just four swinging strikes on the night, but he issued only one walk and had two key pickoffs in the first three innings of the ballgame. While he struggled with his command early on, he retired 11 out of the final 12 batters he faced. Evan Longoria did most of the heavy lifting for the offense, going 3-for-4 with an opposite-field two-run homer, a walk, and two runs scored. And fortunately, the blown call in the seventh inning didn’t end up having an impact on the result of the game.
The Rays will send Alex Cobb to the mound in Wednesday’s Wild Card game while the Indians are going with rookie Danny Salazar. The winner of the game will advance to face the Red Sox in the ALDS on Friday.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59