Sep 30, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
Evan Longoria played hero in Game 162 for the Rays two years ago. And he’s trying to do it in Game 163 tonight.
Longoria just smacked an opposite-field two-run homer off Martin Perez in the top of the third inning to extend the Rays’ lead to 3-0 over the Rangers. Perez issued a leadoff walk to Desmond Jennings before striking out Wil Myers and getting Ben Zobrist to fly out to right, but the free pass came back to bite him with Longoria’s long blast to right-center field.
Tonight’s numbers count toward season totals, so Longoria is up to 32 home runs on the year, his most since 2009. Amazingly, he now has seven career home runs on the final day of the regular season.
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 2
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 22
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 22
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)