Sep 30, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
Evan Longoria played hero in Game 162 for the Rays two years ago. And he’s trying to do it in Game 163 tonight.
Longoria just smacked an opposite-field two-run homer off Martin Perez in the top of the third inning to extend the Rays’ lead to 3-0 over the Rangers. Perez issued a leadoff walk to Desmond Jennings before striking out Wil Myers and getting Ben Zobrist to fly out to right, but the free pass came back to bite him with Longoria’s long blast to right-center field.
Tonight’s numbers count toward season totals, so Longoria is up to 32 home runs on the year, his most since 2009. Amazingly, he now has seven career home runs on the final day of the regular season.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)