Sep 30, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
As the Indians wait to find out their opponent for the Wild Card game Wednesday they announced that rookie Danny Salazar will start the win-or-go-home game.
Salazar made just 10 starts during the regular season, but the 23-year-old right-hander had incredible strikeout numbers in the minors before being called up and posted a 3.12 ERA with an excellent 65/15 K/BB ratio in 52 innings for the Indians while averaging 95.9 miles per hour with his fastball.
Justin Masterson likely would have gotten the assignment if not for his having to work his way back from an injury and the Indians needed to start the more experienced Ubaldo Jimenez and Scott Kazmir over the weekend to secure the playoff spot.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 59
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)