Sep 30, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Umpires: if you know their name they’ve probably messed up too much. Let’s see how many names you recognize for the Wild Card and Division Series rounds.
- For tonight’s game 163 between the Rays and Rangers it will be Tim Welke as crew cheif, Jeff Kellogg behind the plate and Bruce Dreckman, Chris Guccione, Tom Hallion and Ron Kulpa around the bases and/or down the lines.
- Our friend Joe West gets home plate and crew chief duties for the Reds-Pirates Wild Card game on Tuesday, with Dale Scott, Dan Iassogna, Rob Drake, Tim Timmons and Lance Barksdale on his crew. In the AL Wild Card game it will be Gerry Davis as chief and home plate ump with Ted Barrett, Mike Everitt, Greg Gibson, Phil Cuzzi and Brian Knight rounding things out.
- Jerry Layne will head up the Division series in St. Louis between the Cards and the Pirates-Reds winner, with Wally Bell, Sam Holbrook, Jim Joyce, Paul Nauert and Tony Randazzo. The Dodgers-Braves Division Series will be policed by John Hirschbeck, Laz Diaz, Marvin Hudson, Bill Miller, Tim Welke and Hunter Wendelstedt.
- In the AL Division series between the Red Sox and the Wild Card winner will be Dana DeMuth, Eric Cooper, Paul Emmel, Chris Guccione, Larry Vanover and Mike Winters. The Tigers-Athletics series gets Gary Darling, CB Bucknor, Mike DiMuro, Tom Hallion, Jim Reynolds and Mark Wegner.
Not sure who the A’s and Tigers angered to get Bucknor, but expect pitcher ejections the night he works the plate.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 13
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 22
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (112)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)