Sep 30, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Umpires: if you know their name they’ve probably messed up too much. Let’s see how many names you recognize for the Wild Card and Division Series rounds.
- For tonight’s game 163 between the Rays and Rangers it will be Tim Welke as crew cheif, Jeff Kellogg behind the plate and Bruce Dreckman, Chris Guccione, Tom Hallion and Ron Kulpa around the bases and/or down the lines.
- Our friend Joe West gets home plate and crew chief duties for the Reds-Pirates Wild Card game on Tuesday, with Dale Scott, Dan Iassogna, Rob Drake, Tim Timmons and Lance Barksdale on his crew. In the AL Wild Card game it will be Gerry Davis as chief and home plate ump with Ted Barrett, Mike Everitt, Greg Gibson, Phil Cuzzi and Brian Knight rounding things out.
- Jerry Layne will head up the Division series in St. Louis between the Cards and the Pirates-Reds winner, with Wally Bell, Sam Holbrook, Jim Joyce, Paul Nauert and Tony Randazzo. The Dodgers-Braves Division Series will be policed by John Hirschbeck, Laz Diaz, Marvin Hudson, Bill Miller, Tim Welke and Hunter Wendelstedt.
- In the AL Division series between the Red Sox and the Wild Card winner will be Dana DeMuth, Eric Cooper, Paul Emmel, Chris Guccione, Larry Vanover and Mike Winters. The Tigers-Athletics series gets Gary Darling, CB Bucknor, Mike DiMuro, Tom Hallion, Jim Reynolds and Mark Wegner.
Not sure who the A’s and Tigers angered to get Bucknor, but expect pitcher ejections the night he works the plate.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)