Sep 30, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Terry Francona’s tenure in Boston came to an end after his team collapsed down the stretch in 2011 amid allegations that he had lost control of the clubhouse. This included the infamous reports that Josh Beckett, John Lackey, and Jon Lester drank beer, ate fried chicken, and played video games during games. However, it appears that Francona has learned from the past. Or at least has a good sense of humor about the whole thing.
Francona dropped this little gem today when asked what the secret to the Indians’ success has been.
What was Indians' secret to success in September? "We stayed away from chicken and beer," Francona quipped.—
Jordan Bastian (@MLBastian) September 30, 2013
I guess video games are still OK?
The Indians went 21-6 in September and finished with a 10-game winning streak en route to landing the top Wild Card spot in the American League. Francona’s team had a favorable schedule, facing the Astros, White Sox, and Twins during the streak, but they got the job done and are still standing for at least one more game.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 15
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 36
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)