Sep 30, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Terry Francona’s tenure in Boston came to an end after his team collapsed down the stretch in 2011 amid allegations that he had lost control of the clubhouse. This included the infamous reports that Josh Beckett, John Lackey, and Jon Lester drank beer, ate fried chicken, and played video games during games. However, it appears that Francona has learned from the past. Or at least has a good sense of humor about the whole thing.
Francona dropped this little gem today when asked what the secret to the Indians’ success has been.
I guess video games are still OK?
The Indians went 21-6 in September and finished with a 10-game winning streak en route to landing the top Wild Card spot in the American League. Francona’s team had a favorable schedule, facing the Astros, White Sox, and Twins during the streak, but they got the job done and are still standing for at least one more game.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)