Sep 30, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
Terry Francona’s tenure in Boston came to an end after his team collapsed down the stretch in 2011 amid allegations that he had lost control of the clubhouse. This included the infamous reports that Josh Beckett, John Lackey, and Jon Lester drank beer, ate fried chicken, and played video games during games. However, it appears that Francona has learned from the past. Or at least has a good sense of humor about the whole thing.
Francona dropped this little gem today when asked what the secret to the Indians’ success has been.
I guess video games are still OK?
The Indians went 21-6 in September and finished with a 10-game winning streak en route to landing the top Wild Card spot in the American League. Francona’s team had a favorable schedule, facing the Astros, White Sox, and Twins during the streak, but they got the job done and are still standing for at least one more game.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)