Sep 30, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Terry Francona’s tenure in Boston came to an end after his team collapsed down the stretch in 2011 amid allegations that he had lost control of the clubhouse. This included the infamous reports that Josh Beckett, John Lackey, and Jon Lester drank beer, ate fried chicken, and played video games during games. However, it appears that Francona has learned from the past. Or at least has a good sense of humor about the whole thing.
Francona dropped this little gem today when asked what the secret to the Indians’ success has been.
I guess video games are still OK?
The Indians went 21-6 in September and finished with a 10-game winning streak en route to landing the top Wild Card spot in the American League. Francona’s team had a favorable schedule, facing the Astros, White Sox, and Twins during the streak, but they got the job done and are still standing for at least one more game.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 2
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)