Sep 30, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Terry Francona’s tenure in Boston came to an end after his team collapsed down the stretch in 2011 amid allegations that he had lost control of the clubhouse. This included the infamous reports that Josh Beckett, John Lackey, and Jon Lester drank beer, ate fried chicken, and played video games during games. However, it appears that Francona has learned from the past. Or at least has a good sense of humor about the whole thing.
Francona dropped this little gem today when asked what the secret to the Indians’ success has been.
I guess video games are still OK?
The Indians went 21-6 in September and finished with a 10-game winning streak en route to landing the top Wild Card spot in the American League. Francona’s team had a favorable schedule, facing the Astros, White Sox, and Twins during the streak, but they got the job done and are still standing for at least one more game.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 78
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 125
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)