Sep 30, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Ben Badler of Baseball America, who covers the international prospect world better than anyone, has a lengthy new article about Cuban slugger Jose Abreu and his “green light” to sign after being cleared by MLB.
Quite a few teams have been linked to Abreu by various reports, but Badler rates the Rangers as his most likely landing spot. It makes sense, as first base has been a weak spot and the Rangers have certainly shown a willingness to shell out big money for high-profile international players in Yu Darvish. Badler also notes that the Rangers have a good relationship with Abreu’s agency.
He also lists the Red Sox, Pirates, Nationals, and White Sox as possible suitors and, while not named by Badler, the Giants and Marlins have also been mentioned in connection to Abreu frequently by other sources.
- The beauty of belief 12
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 31
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 70
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)