Sep 30, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Ben Badler of Baseball America, who covers the international prospect world better than anyone, has a lengthy new article about Cuban slugger Jose Abreu and his “green light” to sign after being cleared by MLB.
Quite a few teams have been linked to Abreu by various reports, but Badler rates the Rangers as his most likely landing spot. It makes sense, as first base has been a weak spot and the Rangers have certainly shown a willingness to shell out big money for high-profile international players in Yu Darvish. Badler also notes that the Rangers have a good relationship with Abreu’s agency.
He also lists the Red Sox, Pirates, Nationals, and White Sox as possible suitors and, while not named by Badler, the Giants and Marlins have also been mentioned in connection to Abreu frequently by other sources.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)