Rays add insurance run thanks to errant throw, last licks for Rangers

Sep 30, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays v Texas Rangers Getty Images

The Rays were denied an insurance run due to a blown call in the seventh inning, but they got one in the ninth inning thanks to a wild throw from catcher A.J. Pierzynski.

After Sam Fuld led off the top of the ninth inning with a single against Tanner Scheppers, he moved over to second on a ground out from Wil Myers. He then took off for third base with Ben Zobrist at the plate when an errant throw from Pierzynski went past the outstretched glove of Adrian Beltre and down the left field line. Fuld came around to score to extend the Rays’ lead to 5-2.

The Rangers now have three outs to keep their season alive against David Price, who is going for the complete game victory.

1. raysfan1 - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM

It was Scheppers, the pitcher, with the throwing error–not Pierzynski.

Anyway, awesome base running, Sam Fuld! Now bring on the the Indians!!

• indaburg - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Thanks for confirming that, raysfan1. I was literally watching nervously between my fingers, but I could have sworn it was Scheppers.

What a game for Price. I’m so proud of him. Complete game, 2 runs. He can finally put his Rangers demons to rest.

• raysfan1 - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Absolutely. I wished for a big game from our ace and got my wish. Now the whole pen will be rested on Wednesday. Let’s hope the boys keep hitting too!

2. yankeepunk3000 - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM

oh god Im already not a fan of Pedro speaking. It’s just to broken for me, god this analyst group is already tanking just like the umps

3. moogro - Oct 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Hypothetical answer to hypothetical questions was funny.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3678)