Sep 30, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
The Rays were denied an insurance run due to a blown call in the seventh inning, but they got one in the ninth inning thanks to a wild throw from catcher A.J. Pierzynski.
After Sam Fuld led off the top of the ninth inning with a single against Tanner Scheppers, he moved over to second on a ground out from Wil Myers. He then took off for third base with Ben Zobrist at the plate when an errant throw from Pierzynski went past the outstretched glove of Adrian Beltre and down the left field line. Fuld came around to score to extend the Rays’ lead to 5-2.
The Rangers now have three outs to keep their season alive against David Price, who is going for the complete game victory.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)