Sep 30, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
The Rays were denied an insurance run due to a blown call in the seventh inning, but they got one in the ninth inning thanks to a wild throw from catcher A.J. Pierzynski.
After Sam Fuld led off the top of the ninth inning with a single against Tanner Scheppers, he moved over to second on a ground out from Wil Myers. He then took off for third base with Ben Zobrist at the plate when an errant throw from Pierzynski went past the outstretched glove of Adrian Beltre and down the left field line. Fuld came around to score to extend the Rays’ lead to 5-2.
The Rangers now have three outs to keep their season alive against David Price, who is going for the complete game victory.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 13
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)