Sep 30, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
The Rays were denied an insurance run due to a blown call in the seventh inning, but they got one in the ninth inning thanks to a wild throw from catcher A.J. Pierzynski.
After Sam Fuld led off the top of the ninth inning with a single against Tanner Scheppers, he moved over to second on a ground out from Wil Myers. He then took off for third base with Ben Zobrist at the plate when an errant throw from Pierzynski went past the outstretched glove of Adrian Beltre and down the left field line. Fuld came around to score to extend the Rays’ lead to 5-2.
The Rangers now have three outs to keep their season alive against David Price, who is going for the complete game victory.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 11
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 49
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)