Sep 30, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
The Rays were denied an insurance run due to a blown call in the seventh inning, but they got one in the ninth inning thanks to a wild throw from catcher A.J. Pierzynski.
After Sam Fuld led off the top of the ninth inning with a single against Tanner Scheppers, he moved over to second on a ground out from Wil Myers. He then took off for third base with Ben Zobrist at the plate when an errant throw from Pierzynski went past the outstretched glove of Adrian Beltre and down the left field line. Fuld came around to score to extend the Rays’ lead to 5-2.
The Rangers now have three outs to keep their season alive against David Price, who is going for the complete game victory.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 60
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)