Sep 30, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
The Rays were denied an insurance run due to a blown call in the seventh inning, but they got one in the ninth inning thanks to a wild throw from catcher A.J. Pierzynski.
After Sam Fuld led off the top of the ninth inning with a single against Tanner Scheppers, he moved over to second on a ground out from Wil Myers. He then took off for third base with Ben Zobrist at the plate when an errant throw from Pierzynski went past the outstretched glove of Adrian Beltre and down the left field line. Fuld came around to score to extend the Rays’ lead to 5-2.
The Rangers now have three outs to keep their season alive against David Price, who is going for the complete game victory.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)