The A-Rod appeal begins with an odd scene

Sep 30, 2013, 10:33 AM EST

Today A-Rod’s arbitration appealing his 211-game Biogenesis suspension begins. Saw this tweet from New York a few minutes ago:

Which, I know, right? A-Rod has supporters? Besides me, anyway. I couldn’t make it, though, because apparently the airlines don’t give apologist discounts for last minute fares. Which is totally unfair. I’d be there waving a flag and stuff, though.

But before you lament society’s degenerate nature, it’s not like there are throngs of people there. Just a small fervent base:

Call me cynical — and with the caveat that I haven’t seen any larger photos showing the entire area yet — but I can’t help but think this is less grassroots support than Astroturf. A-Rod’s legal team is not made up of P.R. newbies, and they are probably quite able to rangle up a group of folks to show up around the time A-Rod’s car showed up at hearing headquarters.

If we later learn that there were thousands chanting “Free A-Rod,” however, we can reexamine what we think of society’s degenerate nature.

1. sdelmonte - Sep 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM

The season ends, the sideshow begins.

And presumably the more serious reporters are either in Queens for the Terry Collins press conference or in the Bronx hoping for one last quote from Mo or Andy or Derek.

2. baseballici0us - Sep 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Honest inquiry: Do you support A-Rod – the man, player, human being? Or do you support A-Rod – because MLB has regulations and a contract with players/MLBPA and A-rod should get a fair chance to appeal?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Both

• Old Gator - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Good to see such an enthusiastic turnout by A-roid’s athletic supporters.

• historiophiliac - Sep 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Clearly Dominican tourists lined up to see History’s Greatest Monster as part of their must-see US tour. Don’t knock it. I went to Loch Ness when I went to Scotland.

• Old Gator - Sep 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Do you remember the sign on the fence behind the “information center” in Drumnadrochit: “Don’t cross this field unless you can do it in 23.17 seconds. The bull can do it in 23.18″?

• ishwishfish - Sep 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Drumnadrochit, very impressive laddie!

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Personally, I could care less about the man, player, or human being. I don’t attach myself to people I don’t actually live/work/socialize myself with, especially when their actions don’t affect my life one damn bit. He, like all athletes are entertainers, and we tend to forget that. But I do support following rules and regulations you have agreed upon and bargained for, and not unilaterally making up shit as you go along just because it suits you at the moment.

• baseballici0us - Sep 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM

SO you don’t go “awww” when you see a picture of a puppy who fell asleep with it’s tongue out because you don’t live/work/socialize with said puppy?

bad example, I know, but my point is not whether you care about the person or not. My point is whether you support the person because he is going through a hard time as a human being or because he is exercising his rights.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Actually, no I don’t. But I do go awwww when I see a picture of my puppy with her tongue out. I just can’t really get so uppity over a baseball player. Just like I don’t care who’s dating who on Dancing with the C-List celebrities. It’s all so….High-School.

I’ll save my righteous indignation for something that will actually effect my life in some tangible way.

3. cur68 - Sep 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Arbitration Apologist!

4. Jeremy T - Sep 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Did the Daily News just take a picture of a computer screen showing a picture?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM

It’s better than when ESPN read Tweets on air for 20 minutes.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I am about as close to an ARod supporter as I know, so I don’t mean this as rabid ARod bashing…but I count 4 supporters in the picture, pus an additional hand that ARod really wants to shake.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

It’s like A-Rod is reaching out towards the screen, to shake YOUR hand. A kind “The Ring” thing going on there.

• basedrum777 - Sep 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

PRECIOUS>>>>>

6. rbj1 - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Um, Alex is wearing a dark blue suit and his right hand is at his side. There’s a had coming out of a lighter blue suit that would be at a weird angle if it was Alex’s.

Bad photoshop.

• dan1111 - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM

His ability to play baseball is all the more amazing if that tiny arm is his! Also, he apparently has a white shirt with a yellow cuff.

• mornelithe - Sep 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Open your mind Quaid, open your miiiiiiind!

• dinkydow - Sep 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM

rbj1,

Um, no offense, but are u color blind? The hand at his side is wearing a brown suit. His extended hand matches the color of the suit he’s wearing, blue.
      BTW, my wife and son are color blind so really, no offense.

7. sabatimus - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Yeah, roll out the red carpet for this d-bag. Morons.

8. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM

You can’t be there Craig, because according to your critics, you are busy writing propaganda posts fulfilling your duties as a member of the A-Rod payroll.

Duh!

9. Old Gator - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Why isn’t this entire hearing on C-span? Do we really need to watch the Senate debate the House funding bill yet again?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM

CNN called dibs.

10. semin28 - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM

He’s a scum bag

11. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Should be a short proceeding.

“We, Major League Baseball, would like to present evidence marked exhibit A.

We rest out case, your honor.”

• jwbiii - Sep 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Methylprednisolone is a corticosteroid and is not baseball’s banned substances list. So, yeah, that would lead to a very short proceeding.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Don’t ruin my fun with your science and your facts!

• nbjays - Sep 30, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Said the entire Republican congress…

• jwbiii - Oct 1, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Oh, and methylpred’s primary use is as an anti-inflammatory to relieve joint pain. Exactly the sort of drug that someone rehabbing after hip surgery might find beneficial.

12. aceshigh11 - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Grassroots Dominican supporters?

Psssh.

This is just like when Obama flew in planeloads to illegal Kenyans to fraudulently vote in the 2012 elections.

• skids003 - Sep 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Not true. He didn’t fly anyone in, they were already here.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM

The scary thing is I know you’re not kidding.

• historiophiliac - Sep 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Yes, that’s why he had to deploy ACORN to register the sleeper voters.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Well if they were awake, they would have registered themselves, right?

13. DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM

“The A-Rod appeal begins with an odd scene”

I was hoping for something like all the parties stood and recited the Pledge of Allegiance

• jwbiii - Oct 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I was hoping for a chicken dance around the hearing room. That would have been more fun. But reciting the pledge of allegiance while doing the chicken dance would have been epic.

14. coloradogolfcoupons - Sep 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Those four people in the pic are actually trying to borrow money, and I doubt they even know what an AROID is…

15. basedrum777 - Sep 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM

aren’t those people panhandlers?

16. blynch67 - Sep 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM

No doubt they’re paid “spontaneous” supporters.

They’ve been doing that since Nixon in ’72

17. joestemme - Sep 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM

F#$@ A-Roid.

18. eatitfanboy - Oct 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

The vast majority of fans don’t really care about this. The only players who are vilified when they get caught are those who were not fan favorites to begin with. Jason Giambi, an admitted roid monster, is celebrated as a hero in Cleveland. Ditto Andy Pettite in NY. David Ortiz, on the Mitchell Report, beloved. Manny Ramirez, suspended TWICE, would get a standing ovation at two different stadiums if he walked out on the field to throw out the first pitch of either team’s first playoff game. Ryan Braun will be welcomed back with open arms. Do you need more examples? Who do we demonize? A-Rod, who most fans found to be petulant and greedy long before he was linked to PEDs. Barry Bonds, surly and uncooperative with the media throughout his career. We don’t really care if players use PEDs, as long as they say they’re sorry and sign autographs for us.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (5105)