The lineups for Game 163 have been posted

Sep 30, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT

Nelson Cruz, Gary Pettis AP

Rays vs. Rangers for the right to play on. Here are the lineups:

RANGERS

2B Ian Kinsler
SS Elvis Andrus
RF Alex Rios
3B Adrian Beltre
A.J. Pierzynski
DH Nelson Cruz
1B Mitch Moreland
LF Craig Gentry
CF Leonys Martin
Martin Perez

Cruz in the lineup will cause some moralists to get the vapors, but maybe they can fan themselves with the CBA and the Joint Drug Agreement to help them get their composure back.

RAYS

CF Desmond Jennings
RF Wil Myers
2B Ben Zobrist
3B Evan Longoria
DH Delmon Young
LF Sean Rodriguez
1B James Loney
SS Yunel Escobar
C Jose Molina
P David Price

I guess what sticks out the most is Delmon Young, but really, against a lefty and without his glove doing any damage, I’m not sure what better option Joe Maddon has.

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 30, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Desmond Jennings is a surprise to me. I was under the impression that he was still injured.

2. chaseutley - Sep 30, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Which is worse?
    Cruz: a guy who took a banned substance in order to improve his performance, served out his punishment, and has now returned?
    Or….
    Delmon Young: a guy who has consistently given minimal effort, squandered what talent he had, and has disappointed teammates and fans at every turn?
    Your call.

• 2077james - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Don’t forget anti-Semite.

• gmagic9044 - Sep 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Or the homophobic Yunel Escobar…

3. indaburg - Sep 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I’ve gone through the Rays roster a couple of times to make sure I am not missing anyone, and no, there does not look to be a better option than Delmon Young. Knowing that Delmon Young is our best option gives me the vapors.

Other notes for tonight’s game: Cruz vs. Price is 6-for-12. Rios is 10-for-23. Oh, yeah, pass the ammonia inhalants.

Ah, well. At least there’s a chance the Rays continue into the post-season, albeit a small one. It’s better than none.

• Kevin Gillman - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:06 PM

As an Indians fan, I am pulling for the Rays. Nothing against the Rangers, but let’s face it, Rays and Indians are two of the hottest teams in baseball, while Rangers slid right into this position, other than the final week. But I can’t wait for Wednesday night, whoever the Indians play.

• indaburg - Sep 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I don’t know. The Rangers are pretty dang hot themselves. I believe they’ve won 7 straight?

The Rays, bless their hearts (whenever a Southerner says “Bless their hearts”, they’re about to trash something), were in first place as late as 8.24.13. They blew it. All they had to do to get the Wild Card is win one more game. Just one. In the span of 162 dogdamned games, win one more game. And they failed. Now, they have one last chance to win one more game. They’re just lucky the Rangers were as hapless.

I give a lot of credit to the Indians. They went from what? 94 losses to 92 wins? Congratulations. Seriously, that is impressive. I have seen some mention that the Indians are where they are because they had an easy schedule at the end. No matter. The Indians still had to execute. They took nothing for granted. They were still playing major league teams, and it’s not their fault the schedule shook out the way it did. They earned it.

• Kevin Gillman - Sep 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Either way I look forward to the game on Wednesday, and if Garza does start, Indians can beat him. If it’s Cobb, we can beat him too, because at the end of the day, the season stats end when you get into the postseason, and new season has begun. Good luck tonight, no, I really, really mean that. :)

• indaburg - Sep 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Ha! Cobb > Garza.

I hope we’ll find out. I wish Cobb was pitching tonight.

• Kevin Gillman - Sep 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Good luck tonight though, it should be a good game.

• indaburg - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM

:-) We’ll see ya Wednesday!!!!

• Kevin Gillman - Sep 30, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Congratulations, looking forward to it.

4. riotpunch26 - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:16 PM

What the hell is “the vapors” ?

• poprox13 - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM

they sang “turning Japanese”

5. poprox13 - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Im glad its in Texas, at least someone will be there to see it!

• indaburg - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Not according to Ian Kinsler.

6. scottychicago - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Cruz served his suspension. To me, him being in the lineup now is no different than Colon pitching in the playoffs, Giambi pinch hitting, or Peralta playing outfield for Detroit. Still a cheater in my eyes, but allowed to play nonetheless.

7. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I have a sinking feeling the Rays are gonna light up Perez, and Cruz is going to be a strike-out machine tonight.

• indaburg - Sep 30, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Have you seen Price’s ERA at Arlington? 10.26! I have a sinking feeling that Price is giving up multiple HRs to Beltre, Cruz, and Rios in the same inning. It can happen.

This might be a night of competing sinking feelings. We’ve both seen our teams fail spectacularly this season.

• moogro - Sep 30, 2013 at 8:04 PM

If Price is throws strikes in the first two pitches and junk the rest, he will win.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3228)