Sep 30, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
Joe West is quoted in “The Third Team,” a documentary by MLB Network which will air this Thursday at 9pm, saying that “every time an umpire misses a call, part of him dies inside.”
So Joe West is a zombie, apparently.
No, I kid! I’m a kidder! I’m no fan of Joe West, sure, but he and his brothers in blue are the only ones who can tell us what it’s like to be an umpire in a high-leverage situation like the World Series. And to miss a call. Or, as is far more often the case, make the right calls. And no matter what they do with the calls, to have everyone and their brother watching and second-guessing, which is more than almost all of us can say about our jobs.
And for that reason this looks pretty good:
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal 0
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (85)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)