Sep 30, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
UPDATE: It’s official. Gardenhire gets a two-year deal and his entire coaching staff keeps their jobs.
There’s a press conference scheduled for 2:30 central time this afternoon at which the Twins are expected to make an announcement about Ron Gardenhire’s job status. Locally here in Minnesota just about everyone has been assuming Gardenhire will be back and sure enough Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that he’s returning on a new two-year contract.
Gardenhire finished among the top three in Manager of the Year voting seven times in his first nine seasons, winning the award in 2010, but since then the Twins have gone 195-291 (.401) with three consecutive 95-plus loss seasons. Very few managers in baseball history have hung onto their jobs following that sort of sustained losing, but if ever there was a team to display that much loyalty it’s certainly the Twins and general manager Terry Ryan (who himself was brought back into the fold after stepping down from the job previously).
Gardenhire is the second-longest tenured manager in baseball with 12 seasons in Minnesota, going 998-947 (.513) overall.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)