Sep 30, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Gardenhire gets a two-year deal and his entire coaching staff keeps their jobs.
There’s a press conference scheduled for 2:30 central time this afternoon at which the Twins are expected to make an announcement about Ron Gardenhire’s job status. Locally here in Minnesota just about everyone has been assuming Gardenhire will be back and sure enough Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that he’s returning on a new two-year contract.
Gardenhire finished among the top three in Manager of the Year voting seven times in his first nine seasons, winning the award in 2010, but since then the Twins have gone 195-291 (.401) with three consecutive 95-plus loss seasons. Very few managers in baseball history have hung onto their jobs following that sort of sustained losing, but if ever there was a team to display that much loyalty it’s certainly the Twins and general manager Terry Ryan (who himself was brought back into the fold after stepping down from the job previously).
Gardenhire is the second-longest tenured manager in baseball with 12 seasons in Minnesota, going 998-947 (.513) overall.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 46
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)