Oct 1, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
As soon as the Cubs fired manager Dale Sveum the speculation about Joe Girardi coming to Chicago started to intensify, but Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is not going to let him leave without a fight.
Cashman told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that he met with Girardi on Monday and plans to meet with Girardi’s agent on Wednesday, adding that contract negotiations have begun.
Cashman declined to say whether the Cubs had requested permission to speak to Girardi, although considering his contract is up at some point very soon they won’t even need to do so. Cashman did say: “I think he likes it here. We’re going to give him reason to stay.”
In other words, expect an offer that would significantly top the three-year, $9 million contract Girardi just completed. Of course, the Cubs (or another team) would no doubt be offering a big contract too, so Girardi’s decision may hinge on which organization he thinks is in better shape for the next 3-5 years.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)