Oct 1, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
After spending the first two weeks of the year on the disabled list Chase Headley returned to play 141 of the Padres’ final 148 games, but now that the season is over Marty Caswell of 1090-AM in San Diego reports that he underwent arthroscopic left knee surgery.
Last season Headley led the NL in RBIs and finished fifth in the MVP voting, but he hit just .250 with 13 homers and 50 RBIs in 600 plate appearances this season, seeing his OPS drop from .875 to .747. Headley has now played six full seasons and never come within 100 points of last year’s career-best OPS, so for now at least his 2012 looks like an aberration.
This time last year there was talk of the Padres possibly trading Headley for a big return and speculation about him breaking the bank as a free agent eventually, but now he’s heading into his final season under contract at age 30 with a lot of question marks. He hit 31 homers in 2012 and has hit a grand total of 49 homers in his other 670 career games.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 41
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)