Oct 1, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
After spending the first two weeks of the year on the disabled list Chase Headley returned to play 141 of the Padres’ final 148 games, but now that the season is over Marty Caswell of 1090-AM in San Diego reports that he underwent arthroscopic left knee surgery.
Last season Headley led the NL in RBIs and finished fifth in the MVP voting, but he hit just .250 with 13 homers and 50 RBIs in 600 plate appearances this season, seeing his OPS drop from .875 to .747. Headley has now played six full seasons and never come within 100 points of last year’s career-best OPS, so for now at least his 2012 looks like an aberration.
This time last year there was talk of the Padres possibly trading Headley for a big return and speculation about him breaking the bank as a free agent eventually, but now he’s heading into his final season under contract at age 30 with a lot of question marks. He hit 31 homers in 2012 and has hit a grand total of 49 homers in his other 670 career games.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 161
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)