How most people probably feel about the Reds-Pirates game tonight

Oct 1, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT

Cardinals Baseball

Grant Brisbee of Baseball Nation writes an open letter to the Cincinnati Reds saying what the vast majority of people outside of the Greater Cincinnati Metropolitan area are thinking: please, Reds, lose tonight. You really gotta:

First off, I have a tremendous respect for your franchise. I’m young enough to not remember my favorite team getting bludgeoned by the Big Red Machine, but old enough to remember what it was like to watch Eric Davis with complete awe … the Reds are a quality organization with a long, storied history. And I respect the heck out of you.

So this isn’t easy to write. I love the uncertainty of the playoffs, the surprises. The best part of the postseason is to find out who the Jeff Weaver or Mark Lemke is going to be. The randomness of it all is what keeps the baseball playoffs so danged interesting. I’m looking forward to watching it all develop.

But me and some of the other folks have been talking, and, well, we need you to lose.

His reasoning is sound. I mean, really, it is. Gotta go read it for it to truly make sense to you though.

Personally: I find the Reds a pretty likable bunch. But I do believe that most everyone is gonna be rooting for Pittsburgh tonight and I get it. I wish it was the Cardinals facing the Pirates now because they’re way easier to root against. But that’s not how it is, so we’re gonna have to just accept this.

But … if everyone is rooting for the Pirates, doesn’t that make the Reds the outcasts? And don’t prickly jerks like me tend to root for the outcasts? The hated? Does this not compel me to root for the Reds?

Darn, this is confusing.

1. apkyletexas - Oct 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Craig – Please – Please root for the Reds tonight.

Earlier this season when you were sporting your Pirates hat and gear for about a week – I think that was the worst week of the entire season for the Pirates. If I recall, they lost about 6 straight games to the Brewers and Cubs, and got outscored something like 140-3. Pirate fans were bracing for a 2013 epic collapse that would put our record-setting 2012 epic collapse to shame.

So Please – get out your old Pete Rose #14 jersey – and just for one night, be a Reds fan. Let us win 2-1, instead of getting shellacked 22-3. We’ll let you back on the bandwagon once the playoffs are over. Promise.

2. lawson1974 - Oct 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM

F__k Grant Brisbee.

Go REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. blues1988 - Oct 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

as a cardinals fan i disagree with this completely. latos hurting, phillips hurting, the team struggling as of late. man i hope the reds can pull this one out.

4. twinsapologist - Oct 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Question for those without cable:
    Is there any way to stream TBS postseason games, legally? I’m a MLB.TV customer, but it’s done at the start of the postseason.

I would really love to watch tonight’s game..

• Marty McKee - Oct 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM

No. It’s impossible for baseball fans without cable to watch tonight’s game unless you can find a bar that’s willing to show a Pirates/Reds game.

Just one of many reasons Bud Selig is a washout as commissioner.

• mckludge - Oct 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

It’s a Tuesday night with no other major regular season sports going on. Any sports bar will be showing it.

• Bob Loblaw - Oct 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Ummm…first night of the NHL is tonight. I guarantee there will be more sports bars with hockey on than this game. Of course, on HBT, this will get a million thumbs down. But it’s just the way it is. The first night of any sports league will get more action than a Reds-Pirates game.

• blues1988 - Oct 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM

just find a free stream. it’s not illegal for you to watch, just illegal for the site to broadcast it. vip online sports is reliable once you get past all the popups.

• twinsapologist - Oct 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Yeah, I was hoping for a better option. Sorry quality and annoying popups. But I’ll settle for that. Sorry MLB, give me better options.

• Paul Zummo - Oct 1, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Postseason tv. You can purchase it for $4.99 from MLB.com. It gives you all the cable games, and with HD quality. The caveat is that you don’t get the game feed. You have to pick an alternate camera angle (or actually all four at once). So no replays either. It’s a little disconcerting at first, especially using the behind-home view, but it’s been pretty good so far.

• cktai - Oct 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM

You could go on vacation to Europe. I can view all the postseason gamefeeds with mlb.tv

5. metalhead65 - Oct 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM

as a REDS fan it is not my fault your has sucked for years and the reds went thru quite a few dry years of their own since their last series appearance so no sympathy from us. but as long as the toothpick is the manager you will get your wish tonight. all summer all we heard was how he did not have his starting lineup because ludwick was hurt. so what happens after he gets him back for the last month? he only plays him 2 days in row because we would not want him to get tired or get into any kind of rhythm at the plate. then the last week of the season when he has shown he is useless the toothpick moves him up to second in the batting order and they lose the last 5 games of the season. but it will work because he did it 10 years ago with the cardinals. and the starter for tonight has pitched 12 innings the last 3 months but hey they were good ones so he is good to go or better be. because under dusty’s rules you will throw 100 pitches or untill you give up 10 runs whichever comes first.

6. thomas844 - Oct 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM

ESPN will be rooting for the Nationals during this game.

• takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Oct 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM

The Nationals would have been shutdown with the rest of DC anyway. They just got a one day head start.

7. chiadam - Oct 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Ah, yes…the open letter to sports teams. It’s like a business card for morons.

8. saintez - Oct 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Open letter to Grant Bisbee:

“I could care less who you or ‘the rest of the country’ wants to win tonight. It’s not the Reds fault that the Pirates have been a complete disaster for ever and ever. The Reds deserve the right to play tonight just as much as the Pirates. The Reds deserve to win tonight as much as the Pirates. The Reds went nearly the whole season without their #1 pitcher and their setup man. Forget your feel good story. The Reds have their own feel good story and I could care less that anyone prefer they lose”. The End.

9. nbjays - Oct 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM

As a fan of an AL team, I got no dog in this fight, but I have to say I’m torn. Two of my three favourite National League players are Andrew McCutchen and my fellow Canuck Joey Votto (for the record, the third is Clayton Kershaw), so I don’t really know who I want to win.

Should be a great game, though.

10. lew24 - Oct 1, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I love Dusty. I liked him since I was a kid (when he played for the Dodgers). I think I would like to see the Pirates win because it is such a great story. It should be a great match up. I’m just hoping the players are the story and not the umpires!

11. raysfan1 - Oct 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Go Reds!

12. crookedstick - Oct 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Boo hoo hoo….the poor, poor Pittsburgh sports fan. The Steelers have won two Super Bowls in the last 10 years and have 6 overall. The Pens won the Cup in 2009. What’s Cincinnati won? So yeah, the poor, poor Pittsburgh fan is certainly to be pitied.

13. Bob Loblaw - Oct 1, 2013 at 7:24 PM

It’s a battle to see who gets killed by the Cardinals. Whoopdie doo.

14. clydeserra - Oct 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I think you can watch on mlb.com. Its a raw feed. Commentary, no replay. Can’t always see the action. Kinda fun.

15. ziiz8 - Oct 1, 2013 at 8:07 PM

@twinsapologist: you can snag postseason.tv for 5 bucks. the feed is weird camera/audio-wise, but it gets the job done for the baseball fan.

@bob loblaw: great name :)

16. savior72 - Oct 1, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Wow a feel good story that the pirates have finally turned it around after being a door mat for 20 years. Be realistic, if you make it past the reds, your not making it past the cardinals. And you can take that to the bank.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB