Oct 1, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Latos underwent an X-ray after complaining of arm soreness and has been diagnosed with a bone spur in his elbow, which explains why manager Dusty Baker decided to go with Johnny Cueto for tonight’s Wild Card playoff game.
However, according to Sheldon the Reds have not ruled out Latos for the playoffs and in fact are hopeful that he could start Game 1 of the NLDS if they advance past the Pirates tonight. Bone spurs tend to require surgery–relatively minor surgery, but still–so continuing to rely on Latos to pitch with one in the playoffs would definitely be a risky move for the Reds.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 36
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)