Oct 1, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Latos underwent an X-ray after complaining of arm soreness and has been diagnosed with a bone spur in his elbow, which explains why manager Dusty Baker decided to go with Johnny Cueto for tonight’s Wild Card playoff game.
However, according to Sheldon the Reds have not ruled out Latos for the playoffs and in fact are hopeful that he could start Game 1 of the NLDS if they advance past the Pirates tonight. Bone spurs tend to require surgery–relatively minor surgery, but still–so continuing to rely on Latos to pitch with one in the playoffs would definitely be a risky move for the Reds.
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 37
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 25
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 9
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)