Oct 1, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Latos underwent an X-ray after complaining of arm soreness and has been diagnosed with a bone spur in his elbow, which explains why manager Dusty Baker decided to go with Johnny Cueto for tonight’s Wild Card playoff game.
However, according to Sheldon the Reds have not ruled out Latos for the playoffs and in fact are hopeful that he could start Game 1 of the NLDS if they advance past the Pirates tonight. Bone spurs tend to require surgery–relatively minor surgery, but still–so continuing to rely on Latos to pitch with one in the playoffs would definitely be a risky move for the Reds.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)