Oct 1, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Latos underwent an X-ray after complaining of arm soreness and has been diagnosed with a bone spur in his elbow, which explains why manager Dusty Baker decided to go with Johnny Cueto for tonight’s Wild Card playoff game.
However, according to Sheldon the Reds have not ruled out Latos for the playoffs and in fact are hopeful that he could start Game 1 of the NLDS if they advance past the Pirates tonight. Bone spurs tend to require surgery–relatively minor surgery, but still–so continuing to rely on Latos to pitch with one in the playoffs would definitely be a risky move for the Reds.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (95)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (84)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)