Oct 1, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Latos underwent an X-ray after complaining of arm soreness and has been diagnosed with a bone spur in his elbow, which explains why manager Dusty Baker decided to go with Johnny Cueto for tonight’s Wild Card playoff game.
However, according to Sheldon the Reds have not ruled out Latos for the playoffs and in fact are hopeful that he could start Game 1 of the NLDS if they advance past the Pirates tonight. Bone spurs tend to require surgery–relatively minor surgery, but still–so continuing to rely on Latos to pitch with one in the playoffs would definitely be a risky move for the Reds.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)