Oct 1, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Johan Santana has already said that he plans to come back from shoulder surgery to pitch next season and yesterday Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said he’s open to re-signing the left-hander after the team buys out his $25.5 million option for $5.5 million to make him a free agent.
Here’s what Alderson said during an interview with WFAN radio, via Matt Ehalt of ESPN New York:
I think that’s a possibility. I don’t really know what Johan’s thinking. We’ll talk to him, I’m sure, over the next couple of weeks but I think he wants to pitch. We’ll just have to see what the market is for these guys and how much of our resources we want to allocate to somebody coming off injury or somebody you hope was able to pitch for you at a higher level.
Santana will almost surely have to settle for an incentive-laden one-year contract after missing all of this season and starting a total of just 21 games since 2011. As a Twins fan part of me is kind of hoping for a return to Minnesota, but if he’s available cheaply odds are quite a few contenders could show interest in Santana too.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)