Oct 1, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
Everything continues to go right for the host Bucs.
Pirates catcher Russell Martin slugged a deep solo home run to left field in the bottom of the seventh inning off of the Reds’ latest relief pitcher, Logan Ondrusek, moving Pittsburgh to a 6-1 lead in this National League Wild Card Game at PNC Park.
It was Martin’s second solo shot of the evening.
Pirates starter Francisco Liriano is out after firing seven innings of one-run ball on just 90 pitches. He surrendered only four Cincinnati hits, issued only one walk and tallied five strikeouts in a performance that will be remembered in the Steel City for ages.
Cincinnati will need a late offensive charge to get back in this. To the eighth inning we go.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 32
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)