Oct 1, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
Everything continues to go right for the host Bucs.
Pirates catcher Russell Martin slugged a deep solo home run to left field in the bottom of the seventh inning off of the Reds’ latest relief pitcher, Logan Ondrusek, moving Pittsburgh to a 6-1 lead in this National League Wild Card Game at PNC Park.
It was Martin’s second solo shot of the evening.
Pirates starter Francisco Liriano is out after firing seven innings of one-run ball on just 90 pitches. He surrendered only four Cincinnati hits, issued only one walk and tallied five strikeouts in a performance that will be remembered in the Steel City for ages.
Cincinnati will need a late offensive charge to get back in this. To the eighth inning we go.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 46
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)