Oct 1, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Everything continues to go right for the host Bucs.
Pirates catcher Russell Martin slugged a deep solo home run to left field in the bottom of the seventh inning off of the Reds’ latest relief pitcher, Logan Ondrusek, moving Pittsburgh to a 6-1 lead in this National League Wild Card Game at PNC Park.
It was Martin’s second solo shot of the evening.
Pirates starter Francisco Liriano is out after firing seven innings of one-run ball on just 90 pitches. He surrendered only four Cincinnati hits, issued only one walk and tallied five strikeouts in a performance that will be remembered in the Steel City for ages.
Cincinnati will need a late offensive charge to get back in this. To the eighth inning we go.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)