Oct 1, 2013, 8:10 AM EDT
The Rangers won two pennants under Ron Washington, but after a division title-costing late-season fade two years in row and after last night’s loss to the Rays, some folks may have suspected that his job was in jeopardy. Not so:
Just spoke to Rangers GM Jon Daniels. He said there is “not a question” Ron Washington will be back in 2014. @FOXSportsLive
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) October 1, 2013
Which is probably the right call.
Washington is not the world’s best tactical manager, but the Rangers’ flaws haven’t been one of tactics of late. At least primarily. The silent bats speak to a lack of power threats beyond Adrian Beltre and last night it seemed half the lineup was limping. Meanwhile, it’s a team that still appears from the outside to have a lot of respect for its manager.
The Rangers season ended sooner than they hoped, but the situation is not broken there. No sense in making any needless fixes.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)