Oct 1, 2013, 8:10 AM EDT
The Rangers won two pennants under Ron Washington, but after a division title-costing late-season fade two years in row and after last night’s loss to the Rays, some folks may have suspected that his job was in jeopardy. Not so:
Just spoke to Rangers GM Jon Daniels. He said there is “not a question” Ron Washington will be back in 2014. @FOXSportsLive
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) October 1, 2013
Which is probably the right call.
Washington is not the world’s best tactical manager, but the Rangers’ flaws haven’t been one of tactics of late. At least primarily. The silent bats speak to a lack of power threats beyond Adrian Beltre and last night it seemed half the lineup was limping. Meanwhile, it’s a team that still appears from the outside to have a lot of respect for its manager.
The Rangers season ended sooner than they hoped, but the situation is not broken there. No sense in making any needless fixes.
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 1
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 5
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)