Oct 1, 2013, 8:10 AM EDT
The Rangers won two pennants under Ron Washington, but after a division title-costing late-season fade two years in row and after last night’s loss to the Rays, some folks may have suspected that his job was in jeopardy. Not so:
Just spoke to Rangers GM Jon Daniels. He said there is “not a question” Ron Washington will be back in 2014. @FOXSportsLive
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) October 1, 2013
Which is probably the right call.
Washington is not the world’s best tactical manager, but the Rangers’ flaws haven’t been one of tactics of late. At least primarily. The silent bats speak to a lack of power threats beyond Adrian Beltre and last night it seemed half the lineup was limping. Meanwhile, it’s a team that still appears from the outside to have a lot of respect for its manager.
The Rangers season ended sooner than they hoped, but the situation is not broken there. No sense in making any needless fixes.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 1
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 3
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 47
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)