Oct 1, 2013, 8:10 AM EDT
The Rangers won two pennants under Ron Washington, but after a division title-costing late-season fade two years in row and after last night’s loss to the Rays, some folks may have suspected that his job was in jeopardy. Not so:
Just spoke to Rangers GM Jon Daniels. He said there is “not a question” Ron Washington will be back in 2014. @FOXSportsLive
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) October 1, 2013
Which is probably the right call.
Washington is not the world’s best tactical manager, but the Rangers’ flaws haven’t been one of tactics of late. At least primarily. The silent bats speak to a lack of power threats beyond Adrian Beltre and last night it seemed half the lineup was limping. Meanwhile, it’s a team that still appears from the outside to have a lot of respect for its manager.
The Rangers season ended sooner than they hoped, but the situation is not broken there. No sense in making any needless fixes.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)