Oct 1, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
Free agent-to-be Kendrys Morales might not be one and done in Seattle. MLB.com’s Greg Johns passed along word that GM Jack Zduriencik said he intends to make the designated hitter a qualifying offer after the World Series.
That offer would give Morales a one-year contract in the $13.5 million-$14 million range should he choose to accept it. Alternatively, he could still take his chances in free agency. However, since the team that signs him would have to forfeit a draft pick, his value would diminish.
The question here is where Jack Z actually thinks Morales is worth that kind of coin or if he’s simply gambling on the draft pick. Morales is represented by Scott Boras, and those two might figure they can get the kind of multiyear deal that would make the sure money worth passing up.
It will be a tough sell. Morales is a steady hitter; in 2012, he hit .273/.320/.467 with 22 homers for the Angels. In 2013, he hit .277/.336/.449 with 23 homers for the Mariners. Still, he’s going to enter 2014 as a 31-year-old five years removed from his only big season in the majors (.924 OPS, 34 HR with the Angels in 2009). He can play some first base, but he has no real defensive value., and he’s far from an asset on the basepaths.
His comparables list at Baseball-reference may not mean much, but it should give his suitors pause. Guys like Reggie Jefferson, Erubiel Durazo, Mike Jacobs and Juan Rivera were essentially done at 31, and no one on his list remained a consistent producer.
Zduriencik will come out a winner here if he makes the offer and Morales leaves anyway, netting the Mariners a draft pick. The alternative is spending close to $14 million on an unexceptional DH when he could probably resign Raul Ibanez to fill the role for 25 percent of that. Given the way that most teams are addressing the DH spot by mixing-and-matching and using cheaper veterans these days, it seems like a bad risk.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)