Tigers’ playoff rotation has last year’s Cy Young runner-up in Game 2 and this year’s ERA champ in Game 3
Oct 1, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
Detroit has four pitchers who could potentially get a Game 1 assignment for a lot of playoff teams and the Tigers just announced their postseason rotation with Max Scherzer getting the first assignment.
Scherzer will start Game 1 against the A’s, followed by Justin Verlander in Game 2, Anibal Sanchez in Game 3, and Doug Fister in Game 4. You know it’s a good rotation when last year’s Cy Young runner-up is starting Game 2 and this year’s ERA leader is starting Game 3.
Rick Porcello, who was more or less a league-average pitcher this season as the Tigers’ fifth starter, will work strictly out of the bullpen in the playoffs and if the series with Oakland goes the maximum five games Scherzer will take the mound twice.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 23
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 42
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)