A lot of people in Pittsburgh were watching the game last night

Oct 2, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

old TV

The ratings from last night’s Red-Pirates game are in and they’re pretty darn good. It drew a 33.7 rating in the Pittsburgh market, which is the highest rating for any baseball game since Nielsen has been measuring the local market. Viva pent-up demand, I guess.

Nationally the game did a 3.4 rating, which is up 3% from last year’s NL Wild Card game. A big part of this, one can assume, was that it took place mid-week and was the only game on last night whereas last year’s Wild Card games took place in the form of a Friday night doubleheader.

The biggest takeaway here, though, is what I’ve been saying for a long time: baseball is local.

1. sdelmonte - Oct 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Wondering if anyone is counting fans who watch online, either at TBS’s site or, if you are like me and don’t have cable or someone’s cable login code, on MLB’s site. Probably still a small number, but I am glad to have an option.

For those who don’t know, MLB offers all TBS games for $5, but with the caveat that you get a view from a choice of four fixed cameras (with the option to see from one, two or four at a time). No graphics, no instant reply, more like being in the ballpark only with the broadcasters talking in your ear. It’s not as good as the regular TV feed, but there are times when radio won’t cut it. Plus I can watch on my computer and let my wife have the TV.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Dude, dude, dude… you let your wife have the TV? on Wild Card Night?

• sdelmonte - Oct 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM

The route to a happy marriage is to share.

Though it helped that she didn’t really want to watch SHIELD last night. Because that would have forced me to choose as well.

• nbjays - Oct 2, 2013 at 11:59 AM

“Happy wife, happy life.”

Francisco, you must be single… ;-)

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I’m married but I have TWO TVs. Problem Solved!

• historiophiliac - Oct 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Hey!

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Don’t worry historio, I’m just kidding.

2. jdillydawg - Oct 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

That stadium was rocking last night. I could feel the energy through the tv. That was pretty exciting and even though I didn’t have a dog in the hunt, it made it hard not to be a Pirate fan watching last night. That was fun.

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 2, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Can’t we just ignore this story? It conflicts with the baseball is dying because of football narrative.

Won’t someone think of the WRITERS!?!?!?!

4. jm91rs - Oct 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Anyone else wish TBS had a better team of announcers? That was rough.

• moogro - Oct 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I felt like they mostly disappeared. Ron could talk a bit less given his thick tongue. But I was into the game. Joe Buck is way more present and irritating.

5. moogro - Oct 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM

The non-normative chants that the crowd really got into were pretty intimidating. This is how you take advantage of home field. Way more powerful than stock things like organ/”charge!”

• jm91rs - Oct 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Had the Reds had home field advantage you would have heard some good cheers too. I would have been leading the “fi-re dus-ty” cheers as soon as the Pirates had that 2-0 lead.

6. dexterismyhero - Oct 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Why wouldn’t you put a pic of a 65″ flat screen instead of that 19″ Kmart TV?

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3303)