Oct 2, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Houston manager Bo Porter’s job is safe following another 100-loss season, but the Astros announced multiple changes to his coaching staff.
Pitching coach Doug Brocail will leave that job and become a special assistant to general manager Jeff Luhnow and the team has fired both first base coach Dave Clark and bullpen coach Dennis Martinez.
Luhnow explained the changes by telling Richard Dean of CSNHouston.com: “Bo and I discussed how we can improve next year and came to the conclusion that bringing in a few new and different voices would help.”
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)