Oct 2, 2013, 6:52 AM EST
The guy tells it like it is. Sometimes when he shouldn’t. But you can pretty much expect him to go beyond the cliches before most guys do, and he did so last night after the Reds’ loss to the Pirates:
“We choked. I don’t care how my teammates feel about what I am saying now, because it’s truth. Either you win or you go home. And I’m going home. The last place I want to be is on my couch … I choked,” Phillips added. “I didn’t do [anything] to make the team win.”
I tend to be dismissive of people who claim that ballplayers “choked” as it implies some mental or emotional component to athletic failure that is never fair or reasonable for fans — who know next to nothing of what goes on in an athlete’s head — to assume. Baseball is a game which consists of an awful lot of failure. It isn’t necessarily something new or different just when it happens to come at the most inopportune times.
That said: when Phillips says it of himself? Well, OK, I’m willing to take his word for it. He and Joey Votto went 0 for 6 with runners in scoring position and, after a couple of home runs put Johnny Cueto in a hole, the entire Reds lineup seemed to be trying to hit three-run homers with every swing. Even Votto was out of his usual game of plate patience. In his first two plate appearances he saw four pitches and swung at them all, grounding out on the first one and then striking out on three pitches.
If Brandon Phillips says he choked, I’m inclined to believe him. Especially after seeing how rattled Cueto and some of the other Reds reacted to the extremely hostile Pirates crowd.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
She’s just the third woman at the level of vice president or above in major league baseball.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:49 AM EST
And they want a lot for him.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Talks haven’t really heated up yet, but catching is scarce so someone will likely go in on Montero.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Throwing problems forced a move away from third base.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:03 AM EST
It’s his fourth straight year helping homeless charities.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Pittsburgh has done great work recently turning around the careers of pitchers.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Not that that necessarily means anything.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Gutierrez posted a 3.96 ERA and 44/16 K/BB ratio in 64 innings.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Charges were dismissed against him in August. It now appears he’s heading for trial.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:26 AM EST
Hope this doesn’t bring you down.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
I’d say “back by popular demand,” but I can’t find anyone, anywhere who demanded it.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:04 AM EST
The Dodgers get a potential solution for their setup man woes.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
The White Sox claimed a potentially promising arm in Onelki Garcia on a waiver claim from the Dodgers.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
The Pirates designated Ike Davis for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
The Mariners added some bullpen depth, claiming Edgar Olmos off waivers from the Marlins on Thursday.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:25 PM EST
The Padres and Royals made a trade ahead of the 40-man roster deadline.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
The Rays are expected to eschew Jose Molina from their 40-man roster ahead of the midnight deadline.
Nov 20, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Jose Canseco made up the whole thing about his reattached finger falling off and wanting to sell it on the Internet.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
The White Sox are apparently one of three teams showing interest in free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
The Pirates picked up Pedro Florimon off waivers from the Nationals on Thursday evening.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)