Oct 2, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
As expected the Braves have left second baseman Dan Uggla off their NLDS roster, meaning they’d rather face the Dodgers without their highest-paid player. Uggla hit .179 this season and was completely helpless since returning from eye surgery, going 8-for-60 (.133) with 25 strikeouts.
Along with Uggla the Braves also left off Paul Maholm, who started 26 games during the regular season, and Scott Downs, who was acquired from the Angels to provide a left-handed bullpen option in the late innings.
Instead of relying on Maholm for a potential Game 4 start the Braves will apparently turn to Freddy Garcia, who was bouncing around between Triple-A teams a month ago and then tossed 27 innings with a 1.65 ERA down the stretch. Garcia is also 36 years old with a 4.84 ERA in 188 total innings since the beginning of last season, but Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez is a big believer in recent performances being meaningful.
Which is why Downs likely missed the cut. He’s been one of the best left-handed relievers in baseball for almost a decade, posting a combined 2.33 ERA in 447 appearances since 2007, but Downs had a 3.86 ERA and 15/8 K/BB ratio in 14 innings for the Braves.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright tossed a spring-high 93 pitches in a Grapefruit League outing Tuesday afternoon against the Marlins and was declared the Cardinals’ Opening Night starter after the outing by manager Mike Matheny.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Lefties never die. But Mijares is going to have a harder time now.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
Why is this man smiling when his team appears to be destined for last place?
Mar 31, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
“Sheer panic … things got very bad, very quickly.”
Mar 31, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
Nice little loophole.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:02 PM EDT
WIll this man be smiling in October?
Mar 31, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Chavez appeared in 80 games for the Mariners last season.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s supposedly just an arm cramp, but Brad Ausmus isn’t ruling out the DL.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
A long-overdue measure will, apparently, soon be in place.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Wright had a rough spring, allowing 11 runs in eight appearances.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
With this team, they’ll need it.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
Petricka saved 14 games with a 2.96 ERA and 55/33 K/BB ratio in 73 innings last season.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
“I’m encouraged by it, and we’ll see how it carries over into the season.”
Mar 31, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
But most people can afford tickets or are paid to play the games are decidedly not blue collar.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
He got the nod over Mark Buehrle.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
Jenna and I talk about the Mariners’ dynamite pitching staff, Mike Trout’s need of some support and when the Astros will finally break into the picture.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Probably destined for a part-time gig.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
The Phillies outfield is gonna be a train wreck.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Street is without an agent, representing himself, and has said he won’t negotiate after Opening Day.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 7
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)