Oct 2, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
Dayton Moore gave a press conference yesterday to close down the Royals season. At one point he said something that is gonna probably make his obituary one day:
“I feel like we’ve won the World Series”
Today Sam Mellinger of the Star writes a story about the conversation he had with Moore after that comment. A comment Moore admitted was an awful choice of words given how fans of a team that hasn’t made the playoffs for pushing 30 years will likely take it. But the overall sentiment is at least somewhat defensible: for as low as the Royals were and for as hard as he has worked for the past seven years to fix the organization, a good, 86-win season in which more things went right than wrong has given him a sense of accomplishment.
Which is a legitimate observation. Just not one that he’ll ever be given credit for given that he put it the way he did.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)