Oct 2, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
Dayton Moore gave a press conference yesterday to close down the Royals season. At one point he said something that is gonna probably make his obituary one day:
“I feel like we’ve won the World Series”
Today Sam Mellinger of the Star writes a story about the conversation he had with Moore after that comment. A comment Moore admitted was an awful choice of words given how fans of a team that hasn’t made the playoffs for pushing 30 years will likely take it. But the overall sentiment is at least somewhat defensible: for as low as the Royals were and for as hard as he has worked for the past seven years to fix the organization, a good, 86-win season in which more things went right than wrong has given him a sense of accomplishment.
Which is a legitimate observation. Just not one that he’ll ever be given credit for given that he put it the way he did.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (141)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)