Oct 2, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Indians right-hander Danny Salazar was dominant in his first two innings of this American League Wild Card Game, racking up three strikeouts against the six Tampa Bay batters that he faced. But the script was flipped in the top of the third inning when Rays designated hitter Delmon Young crushed a first-pitch solo homer to deep left at Progressive Field.
Rays right-hander Alex Cobb — a much more finesse-based starter than the hard-throwing Salazar — has surrendered two Cleveland hits but no Cleveland runs over his first three frames. So it’s a 1-0 lead for Tampa Bay as we move to the top of the fourth.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)