Demoted closer Edward Mujica makes Cardinals’ playoff roster

Oct 2, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT

Edward Mujica Getty Getty Images

Edward Mujica pitched himself out of the Cardinals’ closer role and was so shaky down the stretch that there was speculation about leaving him off the playoff roster, but he’ll be part of the bullpen for the NLDS.

Mujica has struggled with shoulder problems and allowed opponents to hit .514 in September, giving up runs in six of his 10 outings on the way to an 11.05 ERA for the month. It’s hard to imagine the Cardinals using him in a high-leverage situation, so perhaps they’re hoping a mop-up appearance or two could make him a semi-reliable option later in the playoffs.

Trevor Rosenthal converted three straight save appearances to finish the season after replacing Mujica in the ninth inning and the 23-year-old rookie posted a 2.63 ERA with 108 strikeouts in 75 innings overall.

1. spudchukar - Oct 2, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Tough call but I think it is a mistake for the first series, with the number of lefties in the Pirate order. Gotta check the play-off roster, but if it doesn’t include Freeman, then I don’t agree.

• okwhitefalcon - Oct 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I would have preferred Freeman as well, just makes more sense.

• spudchukar - Oct 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

And I can see bringing Mujica back for the Dodgers or Braves, a little rest, and more right handed hitters.

• paperlions - Oct 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I just don’t see a situation in which Mujica is useful…he should not even be allowed in the bullpen in a close game….and he can’t pitch enough innings to be useful in mop up

• spudchukar - Oct 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I’m with you.

• jeffthomasb - Oct 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM

100% agreement. Not sure if anyone here remembers this, but a while back I proposed a new metric: WARF (Wins Above Ryan Franklin). Mujica’s WARF has plummeted, and (at least for the purposes of playoff baseball) represents a wasted roster spot. ….. Unless the coaching staff knows something that we don’t (likely) and have figured out some adjustment that the dude can make (possible), and he’ll maybe turn a corner and bring that WARF back up (not holding my breath)…

Go Cards!

2. missingdiz - Oct 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM

It’s possible we wouldn’t be in the playoffs without his contribution. Motte was out, Boggs and Salas weren’t effective, Rosenthal wasn’t ready. I understand loyalty and gratitude. But if it’s really his shoulder and physically he’s unable to pitch effectively, this is crazy.

• spudchukar - Oct 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Yeah, tenure is for professors. Baseball decisions shouold be based on the merit system.

• missingdiz - Oct 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Actually, academic tenure and the post-tenure reviews that follow are based on merit. Of course, “merit,” in academia, like “valuable” and “best” in baseball, is not a well-defined concept. But if somebody can’t use their brain anymore, they come out of the line-up.

• spudchukar - Oct 2, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Maybe I stand corrected Diz, but is that the case everywhere, I have my doubts.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5439)