Hawk Harrelson is a finalist for the Ford Frick Award

Oct 2, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT

I’m just gonna leave this here:

Hey, there are people who like Hawk. They are almost all White Sox fans who, when you press them, talk about Hawk as a “familiar voice” or someone with whom they have nice associations with White Sox baseball. Rarely, however, do they say that they actually think he’s a particularly good announcer. Just that they sort of like him. In this way Harrelson to his fans is a lot like “Fat Bottomed Girls” is for me. Something that makes me feel good when I hear it but, when asked to assess its actual merit in objective terms, well, I can’t really do it.

The Frick Award, though, is not about warm fuzzies felt by a minority of partisans. It’s presented by the National Baseball Hall of Fame to a broadcaster for his or her “major contributions to baseball.”  I suppose his introduction of the term “he gone!” has some value — I’ve used that, like, three times on Twitter in the past four years, I believe — but I don’t know if it’s “major.”

Anyway, Good luck, Hawk. I’m sure you’re a nice man and that you’ll say interesting things if you win it.

1. mikhelb - Oct 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I hope Eduardo Ortega finally wins the Ford Frick award. He has been the San Diego Padres spanish radio announcerr in San Diego and the northwestern states of México since the early 1990s (spent a year or two with the Giants). He’s been awarded in México for his contributions to baseball as a columnist, broadcaster and promotor of baseball for more than 30 years. During the winter he is the radio announcer of the Mexicale Eagles of the Mexican Pacific League (the league where Marlon Byrd and Yunnie Betancourt found back their baseball groove last winter). He has been the official Caribbean Series announcer for mlre than 15 years now (if not 20+) and has been narrating the baseball World Series and playoffs nationally (US) and internationally on radio since the mid 1990s when he took the place of another great radio announcer and former San Diego Padres announcer, the late Mario Tomas.

Congratulations to Ortega.

2. tc4306 - Oct 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I’m not a White Sox fan.

The Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles and Tigers are among the AL teams who probably have “better,” “more technical” broadcast teams than the White Sox.

However, there is a certain down home, country feel to the games that are broadcast by Hawk and Steve Stone. They make it seem like you’re in the kitchen fetchin’ brown pops while they’re in the next room relaying what is happening in the game.

In spite of their obvious technical shortcomings, there are many evenings where I’m in the mood for a Hawk and Steve broadcast; and generally, I enjoy the product and Hawk’s stories from the days of yore.

3. steelers88 - Oct 2, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Sigh.

4. Glenn - Oct 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM

The F#&k F()&# Award … sure, sign him up.

I loved the guy when he broadcast the Red Sox games in the mid-70′s, but I was a child. Grown men vote for this award, yes?

5. Jeff - Oct 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Easily one of the worst broadcasters in baseball. He’s annoying.

6. justanothersportsjunkie - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I feel Autumn in the air but still had to look at a calendar to be sure it wasn’t April 1st after reading this headline.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto