Indians miss chances, Rays still lead AL Wild Card Game

Oct 2, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT

asdrubal cabrera getty Getty Images

The Indians loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the fourth inning but couldn’t break through for a run. They had runners at first and third with no outs in the fifth inning but yet again came up empty.

Wasted chances has been the theme so far for host Cleveland in this American League Wild Card Game.

The Rays scored one run in the third inning on a Delmon Young solo shot and two runs in the fourth inning with a two-out Desmond Jennings double. Indians starter Danny Salazar was lifted in the fifth. Rays starter Alex Cobb has thrown six scoreless.

Tampa Bay leads 3-0 as the bottom of the seventh gets underway at Progressive Field.

1. thebadguyswon - Oct 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Bourn and Swisher coming up smaaaaaaalll.

2. franklinandbashandflorio - Oct 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Meanwhile 1.2billion real Indians are sitting on the edges of theirs seats…

3. tablescrappy - Oct 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Maybe Cleveland is losing again because of the team’s stupid name and stupider logo.

4. yankeepunk3000 - Oct 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM

game ova. though Indians played a tight game they couldn’t come up in the clutch and their defense faltered in the 9th. Rough but good game non the less

• indaburg - Oct 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM

The game is not over… 3 more outs to go. Rodney on the mound. Rays up 4-0. Let’s see.

• historiophiliac - Oct 2, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Congrats, carpets. Need you to take care of those BloSox now, okay? Thanks.

• indaburg - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Thanks. We’ll do our best. We’re 7-12 against the bearded ones. When Matthew said the Sox are hoping they don’t have to face the Rays, I scoffed. They’ve owned us this year. I can’t remember winning seven. (Yeah, I know your Tiggers would rather face the carpets than the Sox…)

• historiophiliac - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Well, we’re 4-3 against them, but, yeah. :) Have faith, woman. Your magic carpets might to it.

Delmon Young. smh

• indaburg - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I know, I know. I feel dirty.

• indaburg - Oct 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM

NOW, it’s over! Yes!

5. stephenolszewski - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM

If I see Asdrubal Cabrera on the Indians next year I may throw up a little bit in my mouth, Mike Aviles can easily give you the same production with his bat. Sick of watching Cabrera hit groundout after groundout.

6. jackdaniels1 - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:56 AM

Wait, there’s a real life Tampa Bay Ray fan out here? I thought they were fictitious creatures that you only read about in magazines….similar to UFOs or leprachauns. I’m still in disbelief, I need more concrete evidence

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4971)