Oct 2, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
Pittsburgh police do not dispute Dallas Latos’ claims that fans at last night’s Pirates-Reds game punched her and pulled her hair. But they nonetheless consider the matter “closed.” They’re characterizing it as a he-said/she-said situation and won’t file criminal charges.
They are characterizing it as an altercation between several drunk and/or drinking fans, implying that they include Latos in that crowd. Several people were ejected from the ballpark, including a couple of people with her. They have said that if anyone wishes to privately press charges they may. That process is more akin to a traffic ticket situation and won’t lead to any arrests.
On the one hand, this seems a bit lax given that they aren’t even disputing the victim’s claims of assault here. On the other hand, given what Pittsburgh police have done at PNC Park in the past, maybe they are just hellbent on erring on the side of caution these days.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 17
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 19
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 30
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)