Oct 2, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
Pittsburgh police do not dispute Dallas Latos’ claims that fans at last night’s Pirates-Reds game punched her and pulled her hair. But they nonetheless consider the matter “closed.” They’re characterizing it as a he-said/she-said situation and won’t file criminal charges.
They are characterizing it as an altercation between several drunk and/or drinking fans, implying that they include Latos in that crowd. Several people were ejected from the ballpark, including a couple of people with her. They have said that if anyone wishes to privately press charges they may. That process is more akin to a traffic ticket situation and won’t lead to any arrests.
On the one hand, this seems a bit lax given that they aren’t even disputing the victim’s claims of assault here. On the other hand, given what Pittsburgh police have done at PNC Park in the past, maybe they are just hellbent on erring on the side of caution these days.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)