Oct 2, 2013, 11:47 PM EDT
It’s rare that a team will tally nine hits and be held scoreless, but that is exactly what happened to the host Indians in Wednesday night’s American League Wild Card Game at Progressive Field in Cleveland.
Using an arsenal of vicious breaking stuff and a steady low-90s fastball, Rays starter Alex Cobb worked in and out of trouble for 6 2/3 shutout frames as Tampa Bay grabbed a 4-0 victory over the Tribe to advance to an ALDS meeting with the American League East-champion Red Sox. Tampa Bay’s bullpen looked like a potential weak spot heading into this one-game coin-flip, but right-hander Joel Peralta and left-hander Jake McGee were sharp in setup duty and Rays closer Fernando Rodney shot his arrows after a clean bottom of the ninth.
The Rays got their first run in the third on a Delmon Young solo shot after two dominant opening innings from Indians starter Danny Salazar, who was pumping 98-mph fastballs with ease until he was lifted in the top of the fifth. Salazar’s impressive velocity readings gave the home fans something to look forward to in 2014, but the 23-year-old right-hander wound up surrendering three runs on four hits and two walks in the loss.
The Rays added a fourth insurance run against the Cleveland bullpen in the top of the ninth inning.
Rays manager Joe Maddon will lead his team into Fenway Park this weekend for the opening games of a big best-of-five series between two very-familiar American League East foes. Game 1 is Friday at 3 p.m. ET.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)