Oct 2, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Yu Darvish exited his September 9 start with what the Rangers called leg cramping and was visited by a trainer early in his final start of the season last week, so this news makes sense: Todd Willis of ESPN Dallas reports that Darvish “suffered from a nerve problem in his lower back and buttocks area in September.”
According to Willis he pitched through the injury for the entire month, which makes his 3.34 ERA and 41 strikeouts in 35 innings pretty damn impressive considering his velocity was down.
Rangers manager Ron Washington repeatedly declined to share the details of Darvish’s health status when asked at various points last month and in reporting that Darvish suffered from sciatica Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News was unable to get a comment from Darvish or general manager Jon Daniels.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20