Oct 2, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Yu Darvish exited his September 9 start with what the Rangers called leg cramping and was visited by a trainer early in his final start of the season last week, so this news makes sense: Todd Willis of ESPN Dallas reports that Darvish “suffered from a nerve problem in his lower back and buttocks area in September.”
According to Willis he pitched through the injury for the entire month, which makes his 3.34 ERA and 41 strikeouts in 35 innings pretty damn impressive considering his velocity was down.
Rangers manager Ron Washington repeatedly declined to share the details of Darvish’s health status when asked at various points last month and in reporting that Darvish suffered from sciatica Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News was unable to get a comment from Darvish or general manager Jon Daniels.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)