Oct 2, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Yu Darvish exited his September 9 start with what the Rangers called leg cramping and was visited by a trainer early in his final start of the season last week, so this news makes sense: Todd Willis of ESPN Dallas reports that Darvish “suffered from a nerve problem in his lower back and buttocks area in September.”
According to Willis he pitched through the injury for the entire month, which makes his 3.34 ERA and 41 strikeouts in 35 innings pretty damn impressive considering his velocity was down.
Rangers manager Ron Washington repeatedly declined to share the details of Darvish’s health status when asked at various points last month and in reporting that Darvish suffered from sciatica Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News was unable to get a comment from Darvish or general manager Jon Daniels.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 9
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 70
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 57
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)