Oct 3, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
Allen Craig is out for the NLDS because of a foot injury and general manager John Mozeliak does not expect him back for the playoffs regardless of whether the Cardinals make a deep run in October.
Appearing on 920-AM radio in St. Louis, the GM was asked about Craig’s return timetable and replied: “Could Craig play this postseason? Yes. Is it a high probability that he plays? No.”
Craig hit .315 with 13 homers and an .830 OPS in 134 games this season, including an NL-leading batting average with runners in scoring position, but the Cardinals are as prepared to replace him as any team could be thanks to Matt Adams. Limited to a part-time role for the much of the season, Adams hit .284 with 17 homers and an .839 OPS in 319 plate appearances overall and has the minor-league track record to suggest it was no fluke.
It’d obviously be nice to have both, especially since they swing from different sides of the plate and Craig is capable of playing multiple positions, but the Cardinals’ offense is certainly strong and deep enough to thrive with Adams at first base.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 27
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (114)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)