Oct 3, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
Allen Craig is out for the NLDS because of a foot injury and general manager John Mozeliak does not expect him back for the playoffs regardless of whether the Cardinals make a deep run in October.
Appearing on 920-AM radio in St. Louis, the GM was asked about Craig’s return timetable and replied: “Could Craig play this postseason? Yes. Is it a high probability that he plays? No.”
Craig hit .315 with 13 homers and an .830 OPS in 134 games this season, including an NL-leading batting average with runners in scoring position, but the Cardinals are as prepared to replace him as any team could be thanks to Matt Adams. Limited to a part-time role for the much of the season, Adams hit .284 with 17 homers and an .839 OPS in 319 plate appearances overall and has the minor-league track record to suggest it was no fluke.
It’d obviously be nice to have both, especially since they swing from different sides of the plate and Craig is capable of playing multiple positions, but the Cardinals’ offense is certainly strong and deep enough to thrive with Adams at first base.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (186)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)