Oct 3, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Two months ago Cal Ripken Jr. dropped some hints about wanting to get into managing and now it sounds like the Hall of Famer is into chasing a big-league gig this offseason.
Appearing on WGN Radio in Chicago with David Kaplan yesterday, Ripken said:
The urge to do something in baseball has come back, and I guess I’d be more inclined to listen because I’d be a little bit more interested at this stage, but I haven’t figured that out yet. I have to be very careful how I answer that question because it seems like speculation runs rampant, but it’s an interesting position to be in. But yeah, I think I’d listen a little bit more than I would have certainly three or four years ago.
Ripken’s name alone will cause a lot of media members and fans to want him for their local job opening–for instance here’s a Cubs version–but being a great player doesn’t necessarily lead to being a great manager and in fact more often than not the opposite is true. Plus, in this case Ripken has zero coaching experience, let alone managing experience. Still, it’s certainly an interesting story to track.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)