Oct 3, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Two months ago Cal Ripken Jr. dropped some hints about wanting to get into managing and now it sounds like the Hall of Famer is into chasing a big-league gig this offseason.
Appearing on WGN Radio in Chicago with David Kaplan yesterday, Ripken said:
The urge to do something in baseball has come back, and I guess I’d be more inclined to listen because I’d be a little bit more interested at this stage, but I haven’t figured that out yet. I have to be very careful how I answer that question because it seems like speculation runs rampant, but it’s an interesting position to be in. But yeah, I think I’d listen a little bit more than I would have certainly three or four years ago.
Ripken’s name alone will cause a lot of media members and fans to want him for their local job opening–for instance here’s a Cubs version–but being a great player doesn’t necessarily lead to being a great manager and in fact more often than not the opposite is true. Plus, in this case Ripken has zero coaching experience, let alone managing experience. Still, it’s certainly an interesting story to track.
Dec 22, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
Dan Haren was traded from the Dodgers to the Marlins in the Dee Gordon deal during this month’s Winter Meetings despite his previous comments that he would rather retire than pitch for a team away from his family in Southern California.
Dec 22, 2014, 5:07 PM EST
“It’s too soon to know if Scutaro will ever take the field again.”
Dec 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EST
I got, like, 17 guys I’d put in. But I’ll pretend I can only pick ten.
Dec 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
Another comeback attempt in San Diego.
Dec 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
And it looks weird. But then again, everything looks weird there, doesn’t it?
Dec 22, 2014, 2:08 PM EST
We could probably all write one of these. But ours would be a lot less useful to our younger selves than Doc Gooden’s is to his younger self.
Dec 22, 2014, 12:44 PM EST
The Pirates have 30 days to reach an agreement with Kang or else he goes back to his KBO team.
Dec 22, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
Bell was an All-Star as recently as 2011.
Dec 22, 2014, 11:54 AM EST
The ultimate minor league “where are they now?”
Dec 22, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
“You see what’s going on, but …”
Dec 22, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
Who will tell us that they’re “takin’ it one game at a time” now?!
Dec 22, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Dec 22, 2014, 9:04 AM EST
He’ll be under team control through 2019.
Dec 22, 2014, 8:41 AM EST
Taped baseballs and Yankees fans.
Dec 22, 2014, 7:49 AM EST
Understated, it is not.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
Wil Myers was rumored to be a potential target for the Phillies in a trade involving Cole Hamels, but it turns out the Padres plan to hang on to him.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
Wil Ledezma will attempt to return to the major leagues with the Twins after signing a minor league deal.
Dec 21, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
Marco Scutaro’s 2014 season was tarnished by a chronic back ailment. The Giants’ training staff is preparing an update on the 39-year-old and it may not be good news.
Dec 21, 2014, 8:50 PM EST
If spring training were to start today, Yankees GM Brian Cashman would have Rob Refsnyder and Jose Pirela compete for the starting job at second base.
In which someone describes A-Rod, B.J. Upton and Ryan Howard as potential offensive options for a team
Dec 21, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
This needs to happen, people.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 40
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 21
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)