Oct 3, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
This game got out of hand rather quickly, as Burnett gave up seven runs in the third inning without recording an out before getting the hook. The big blow was a three-run homer from Carlos Beltran which traveled an estimated 443 feet. Burnett walked four batters and threw just 38 out of 72 pitches for strikes during the brief outing. Perhaps there was something to his previous struggles in the postseason and Busch Stadium after all.
Wainwright was brilliant, holding the Pirates to just three hits while striking out nine batters and walking none. He retired the first 11 batters he faced and had Pittsburgh’s hitters guessing with his curveball. His only mistake was a solo homer by Pedro Alvarez in the fifth inning. Wainwright probably could have thrown another inning or two if needed, but there was little reason to push it with such a big lead.
The Pirates were dominated in all phases of the game today, but they’ll have a chance to change the conversation quickly with Game 2 scheduled for 1 p.m. ET tomorrow. Pittsburgh will send rookie Gerrit Cole to the hill while Lance Lynn will start for St. Louis.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (259)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)