Cris Carter said he gave Alex Rodriguez a talking-to

Oct 3, 2013, 12:30 PM EST

Yankees' Rodriguez stands at third base in the eighth inning of their MLB American League baseball game against the Red Sox in Boston Reuters

This is fun. Ex-NFL player Cris Carter ran into A-Rod down in Florida when A-Rod was getting ready to come back this year and they had a little chat. Carter said that he was concerned about PEDs and A-Rod’s P.R. problems and how his example impacts children and stuff. Then it got good. He said this on the Mike & Mike show:

“And he went into, Well, you know, I’m fighting for my life, and I basically just interrupted him and said, ‘Your life as a baseball player is over with. Now what you decide to do with the rest of your life — that’s the decision that you have to make. You and a number of other athletes have lost a whole generation of kids. Now, they’re going to be experimenting with PEDs because you guys have been successful doing it. What are you going to do to try to repair that?’ ”

Carter went on to tell A-Rod: “That’s really what your legacy should be. What you decide to do is totally up to you. I don’t care. I’m nobody — I’m just a fan. But I thought I should tell you that. You have an opportunity — and it could start today — that you could have the greatest legacy as far as PEDs, kids, high school athletes.”

I don’t think A-Rod or any big time athlete doing PEDs has nearly the impact on kids doing them as do the habits of other kids and the competitive environment in which they find themselves (i.e. if the incentive exists for them it will be way stronger a push than anyone’s example might be). But Carter is right about where A-Rod is in the grand scheme of things.

He’s not “done” in the same way Bill Madden keeps saying he’s done. He will likely still play baseball. I also believe that, yes, A-Rod has every right and incentive — in in some ways responsibility — to fight the charges against him. If for no other reason than because the precedent of MLB leveling crazy 200+ game suspensions for first time violations of the JDA is insane.

But his time as a big impact player and famous superstar is over. And it would be a good idea for him think about his future more than his present. Any move calculated to work on his present image, as opposed to his legal status alone, is probably wasted effort.

1. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Well, thank God for Chris Carter for butting his nose in a situation he obviously was much needed. And it’s fantastic that he didn’t use the situation to self promote himself and further his own agenda and ego.

• zzalapski - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Carter’s living up to his reputation of an attention whore. Who divulges private conversations like this?

• historiophiliac - Oct 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I was talking to zzalapski the other day…

2. NatsLady - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Listen, I don’t give two pins about Miley Cyrus’ outfits. But when she started singing about “happy drugs” that is where I draw the line. (Not just marijuana).

I work with kids as a teacher. They know about drugs, PEDs etc., and they know where to find them and what they are supposed to do and with less-than-affluent (and even affluent) parents pressing kids to get scholarships, they are going to use them. And they are influenced by what stars do, not Rodriguez, because he’s OLD in their eyes, but other stars. I’m not sure why the NFL is getting away with this. They suspend all the time but don’t get the headlines.

More than anything else, I hate Rodriguez for believing (and I think he DID believe) that PEDs are the only way, and influencing a bunch of young players in his circle with that belief because he thought he was helping them.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 3, 2013 at 7:11 PM

So you’re saying there were’t other artists/bands that sang about drugs before her?

Get off my lawn!!!

3. jrocknstuff - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:49 PM

You’re wrong. Plain and simple. I don’t know how old your kids are, but children, especially athletes, emulate their heroes. If the pros are doing it, the kids copy it, everything from batting stance to chewing tobacco. I’d you don’t think kids will take PED’s simply because A-Rod did it then you’re just being naive.

• NatsLady - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Absolutely. They sing the songs, wear the clothes, use the drugs, you name it–they copy. It’s the RARE child that resists, and that child is usually ostracized by peers.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM

If only there were a group of people responsible for the children who could teach them about right and wrong.

• NatsLady - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM

That works, until they are about 11 or 12. After that, you have to HOPE, hope that you have instilled the right values.

• clemente2 - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:22 PM

church’s comment above wins the Internet Award of the Day for Driest Comment. I’m using it to dry the dishes.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Parents?

• bh192012 - Oct 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Children take in information from everyone to make their choices. Hence being a citizen or part of civilization. Sure it’s your right to be an idiot, but don’t act like it’s not affecting others.

4. footballfan01 - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM

“PEDs?!? … C’mon, man!”

5. sophiethegreatdane - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Way to go CC.

6. rbj1 - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Ah yes, a football player lecturing on PEDs. Spare me.

7. Old Gator - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I’d be pleased with Chris Carter getting in A-Roid’s face if I actually believed that A-Roid gave a flying fuck at a rolling donut about kids, or, for that matter, anything except himself. You think that he’s going to care about other kids when he didn’t blink at the thought of banging all the strange that crossed his path, destroying his marriage and traumatizing his own kids? Please. Chris, that would have been great advice to anyone whose ego left over even a little room for a conscience. On this particular jerk, it was wasted.

8. billybawl - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM

There’s a typo. I think A-Rod said “I’m fighting for my contract.”

9. smillr58 - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Good for CC!

10. Darkoestrada - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM

You guys aren’t giving kids enough credit if you think arod can influence a whole generation to take steroids. Most are far more afraid of the side effects than are to just blindly do them because their favorite baseball player did. When I was in school, the athletes doing steroids were constantly the butt of jokes. If anyone found out a classmate was doing them, their life would have been hell. There’s not many things teenagers are more afraid of than acne and shrunken nads.

11. dowhatifeellike - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I think Hollywood has a more pro-PEDs vibe than pro sports. Nobody talks about it but all of the male action stars are using, and then fitness websites and magazines try to tell us how to get those bodies with only diet and exercise. It’s just not possible.

Maybe it’s because I’m creeping up on 30, but if you ask me why I’ve considered taking something (and I have considered it), it’s definitely more about appearance than performance. I know it’s a big problem in athletics– I wrestled in high school with guys who got “stuff” from a guy at their gym– but it goes beyond athletics too.

12. earpaniac - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I understand where CC is coming from. Do I think it made a difference? I think A-Rod forgot about the entire conversation as soon as CC walked away. For better or worse, A-Rod is who he is.
    I partially agree with you Craig, about the environment/player argument. I think today’s highly charged competiveness from coaches, players, friends, and even parents gets them thinking about it. It’s the athletes who pushes them over the tipping point. Right or wrong, kids see them as “cool” and/or role models.

13. coryfor3 - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I know Cris Carter has overcome some personal problems. Now it seems he and the media believe he has some free reign to be admired and serve as some sort of a know-it-all guru for others. I can see him serving as a mentor for a teammate but running all over and handing out unsolicited advice? Forget that.

14. stlouis1baseball - Oct 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM

While I appreciate Chris Carter’s approach…
    All ever did was catch Touchdown passes.

15. righthandofjustice - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM

When people complained about children getting bad influence from players who used PED they always talked about names like A-Rod or Big Papi. In reality, the worst influences actually came from players like Andy Pettitte who not only abused PEDs more than once himself but also helped other PED users like Clements to get out of trouble.

There are many names directly in or related to the Mitchell report but Pettitte has been treated like a saint by the Yankees just like A-Rod up until the later was injured and duped “finished” by Levine. Now Pettitte is really finished. As he became useless to the Yankee network I am not surprised to see a PEDitte saga similar to A-Rod’s in a couple of years.

16. joestemme - Oct 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM

F$@K A-Roid.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4564)
  2. M. Kemp (3650)
  3. M. Cabrera (2877)
  4. J. Kang (2581)
  5. M. Morse (2570)
  1. J. Upton (2491)
  2. A. Rios (2199)
  3. C. Headley (2165)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2095)
  5. C. McGehee (1887)