Oct 3, 2013, 12:40 AM EDT
The Rays (17) and the Indians (16) were the only American League teams to throw 15 shutouts this season, so it’s fitting that the wild card turned into another one.
Pitching himself into and out of trouble, Alex Cobb scattered eight hits in 6 2/3 innings before leaving with a 3-0 lead. Joel Peralta, Jake McGee and Fernando Rodney finished up from there as the Rays topped the Tribe 4-0 to advance to the ALDS and play Boston on Friday.
The 25-year-old Cobb was involved in four of the Rays’ regular-season shutouts, though he never completed any of them himself (his lone complete game actually came in a 2-1 loss to the A’s). The teams on the other end of those shutouts: the Indians, the Yankees, the Tigers and then the Yankees again. Overall, Cobb went 11-3 with a 2.76 ERA. He may well have been a Cy Young contender if not for the liner that brought his season to a screaming half on June 15. The complete-game loss is his only defeat in 18 starts since the beginning of May.
Now the Rays get the difficult assignment of facing the Red Sox without either of their top two starters being available in Game 1 on Friday. Matt Moore, who has been very shaky of late, will get the ball in that one. David Price, who went the distance in the one-game playoff against the Rangers on Monday, should come back for Game 2. Cobb will likely follow in Game 3, unless the Rays want to give him an extra day off and use Chris Archer then.
There is one big plus for the Rays; because MLB couldn’t help itself and there are four days between Games 2 and 5, Price could come back for the finale on regular rest, should the series get that far.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)