Mike Trout thinks Miguel Cabrera is the AL MVP. At least I think he does. Maybe not?

Oct 3, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT

Mike Tout was on NBC Sports Network’s SportsDash today and talked about the MVP. After some hemming and hawing he said that, if he had to pick, Miguel Cabrera would be the MVP. But then listen to him elaborate. Specifically listen to the tone of voice and some of his explanation around the choice and you can tell he bristles at the idea that you have to be on a playoff team to be the MVP. Then he says that if he had a vote, he’d vote for himself. Kinda joking, but kinda not?

You can tell that he’s trying to not be egotistical. You can tell by the “if Miguel had to pick he’d probably pick me” comment that he’s bowing to the expectation that no one in baseball would ever come out and say that he deserved it himself.

In the end: he comes off almost as self-contradictory as Buster Olney did the other day.

But just almost. Man, I’m still gobsmacked by Olney’s thing.

1. moogro - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM

He’s in a tough spot with that question.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Yeah, if he’s honest (because I assume he thinks he should have it in the bag) he’s “egotistical” and now he’s lying.

Maybe he’s just humble.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Humbleness is an intangible. It’s what makes for a good team player. It’s one of the foundations of grit. And grit is one of the key components of clutch.

Based on his levels of intangibles like humbleness, grittiness, clutchness and team playerness….well I do believe he just earned himself a few more votes.

2. losanginsight - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Too bad for Mike he’s on a small market, non playoff team. Miggy is in the playoffs while Mike is fist pumping.

• kruegere - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I’d love to hear you definition of ‘small market’

• Liam - Oct 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM

You might want to consult a map about the location of Millville before you just assume it’s part of the Jersey shore region, chief.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Small market? Mike Trout plays on a small market team?
      Did he get traded to the K.C. Royals? The Cincinnati Redlegs? The Indiana Pacers?
      Small market? Wow. I would like to know who gave you (2) thumbs ups.
      Cause’ I am banking on you being one of the three.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 3, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I up-thumb my comments all the time. I assumed we all did and people with 0s were murdered before they could.

3. chrisernst82 - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM

You and Olney need to go outside and get this out of the way, instead of the little girl jabs over the internet.

I wish there was some way to make all the internet tough guys prove it. Its so annoying its not even funny. What would you Grandpa say about talking smack over the internet? Man up and go find him and handle it old school style lol

• kruegere - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM

LoL!!

4. stoutfiles - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Of course he thinks he should be the MVP. Being MVP is just another award to dangle come contract time.

However, when talking about other players, it is almost always in a player’s best interest to appear humble. Credit the other guy even if you believe you’re better.

Humble = good PR = increased pay and off-the-field opportunities.

5. clemente2 - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Yea, that’s the “I am the correct choice but it is not socially acceptable to say it” answer.

Being so close to Hollywood, he can learn how to give the “I am not the correct answer, but I am totally going to say it is with conviction” answer, which makes the first answer very easy to give.

• moogro - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM

They’re close to Disneyland, not Hollywood.

• sportsfan18 - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I know California traffic is bad and all, but I just Googled the distance between their stadium and Hollywood and it came back with 47 min’s.

Even if it takes an hour, that’s close. For yrs I drove 63 miles each way to work everyday.

They are close to Hollywood too… Disneyland happens to be a bit closer is all.

6. gpatrick15 - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I’m on the record stating that if I had a vote last season, I’d have voted for Miguel Cabrera. Traditional stats back him, sabermetrics back Trout. Either candidate would have been a fine choice. The same goes for this year. On the issue of whether or not you had to be on a playoff team to win, I do not think you necessarily do, but that brings up a point I’d like to see elaborated on: Miguel Cabrera helped his team make the playoffs, but he of course didn’t do it alone. He had the help of a good pitching staff and a good offense. Regardless of the talent around him, he performed admirably for the entire season.

Trout, on the other hand, had a terrible team, but only because the high priced additions didn’t pan out and management still thinks it’s a good idea to hold on to Mike Scioscia. Both players performed well enough to win despite what their teammates did, but isn’t it odd that Trout is deemed the winner by some, despite the fact that with or without him the team was still terrible? Last years excuse was that he was called up too late, what’s it going to be this year? Trout is great, I certainly will admit that. But what does all of his majestic ability add to the wins and loss columns? I believe the Tigers would struggle tremendously on offense without Cabrera, though the team is still balanced enough to make the playoffs. Does it say more about the Angels or Trout himself that, no matter what he does, they still stink? (Obviously it says more about the quality of the Angels, in my opinion). Sorry for the long post, I’d like to see everyone’s take on this.

• gpatrick15 - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM

PS: Meant to include the question “Where’s the value if you still cannot make the postseason despite your heroics?”

• dlf9 - Oct 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM

A $5 is never as valuable as a $20 bill, even if the former happens to be paired with ten other $5s while the $20 has a couple of $1 and a handful of nickles. Cabrera’s case isn’t better because Scherzer is very good and Trout’s isn’t worse because Pujols sucked.

There actually is a sabermetric case that would place Trout behind other candidates, possibly including Cabrera and maybe Davis and Donaldson. His performance this year was markedly unclutch. As measured by WPA or WPA/LI, his contributions came disproportionately in situations where there was less value. That is very different than just saying his team could have finished out of the playoffs without him. I’m not sure I buy the argument, but less real wins resulted from his actual results than if there had been a normal distribution of Trout’s 2013 performance.

• km9000 - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM

“I’d like to see everyone’s take on this.”

Where have you been?

7. sjtorpitt - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM

“Small market” ?!?!
    LOL.

8. detroitr1 - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I hope the voters look past the lack of a playoff appearance for Trout et. al. and just give it to him. It’s getting tiresome reading about Cabrera vs. Trout amongst the baseball intelligentsia.

9. stlouis1baseball - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Is Mike Trout the “self-proclaimed” MVP?
    Or is Miguel Cabrera the “self-proclaimed” MVP?
    Or perhaps Mike Trout feels Miguel Cabrera is the “self-proclaimed” MVP?

10. nobody78 - Oct 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

This makes me think it’d be really fun to let players vote, and to publish the tally. Whoever gets the most votes gets, I don’t know, one or two points in the writers’ poll.

I’m curious to see what they think, and endlessly amused by the top guys having to go through a process of deciding whether or not to vote for himself, and some guys who just keep voting for themselves without any possible grounds for it. I’m confident Rickey Henderson would’ve voted for himself in 2000.

I guess it wouldn’t be so much fun for the players or good for the “integrity of the process” or whatever. I’d enjoy it though.

• km9000 - Oct 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I think there is an annual player-voted MVP award. I’m sure Cabrera will win in a landslide and probably did last year.

I’m not sure how much weight they put on a winning team (since so many play for crappy teams), but… RBIs. They love them some RBIs.

11. ezthinking - Oct 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

This is where he should give the Jeter-style, “I’m not about individual awards, I’m about winning” line and duck the question.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3740)