Oct 3, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Mike Tout was on NBC Sports Network’s SportsDash today and talked about the MVP. After some hemming and hawing he said that, if he had to pick, Miguel Cabrera would be the MVP. But then listen to him elaborate. Specifically listen to the tone of voice and some of his explanation around the choice and you can tell he bristles at the idea that you have to be on a playoff team to be the MVP. Then he says that if he had a vote, he’d vote for himself. Kinda joking, but kinda not?
You can tell that he’s trying to not be egotistical. You can tell by the “if Miguel had to pick he’d probably pick me” comment that he’s bowing to the expectation that no one in baseball would ever come out and say that he deserved it himself.
In the end: he comes off almost as self-contradictory as Buster Olney did the other day.
But just almost. Man, I’m still gobsmacked by Olney’s thing.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)