Oct 3, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Mike Tout was on NBC Sports Network’s SportsDash today and talked about the MVP. After some hemming and hawing he said that, if he had to pick, Miguel Cabrera would be the MVP. But then listen to him elaborate. Specifically listen to the tone of voice and some of his explanation around the choice and you can tell he bristles at the idea that you have to be on a playoff team to be the MVP. Then he says that if he had a vote, he’d vote for himself. Kinda joking, but kinda not?
You can tell that he’s trying to not be egotistical. You can tell by the “if Miguel had to pick he’d probably pick me” comment that he’s bowing to the expectation that no one in baseball would ever come out and say that he deserved it himself.
In the end: he comes off almost as self-contradictory as Buster Olney did the other day.
But just almost. Man, I’m still gobsmacked by Olney’s thing.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)