Oct 3, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Mike Tout was on NBC Sports Network’s SportsDash today and talked about the MVP. After some hemming and hawing he said that, if he had to pick, Miguel Cabrera would be the MVP. But then listen to him elaborate. Specifically listen to the tone of voice and some of his explanation around the choice and you can tell he bristles at the idea that you have to be on a playoff team to be the MVP. Then he says that if he had a vote, he’d vote for himself. Kinda joking, but kinda not?
You can tell that he’s trying to not be egotistical. You can tell by the “if Miguel had to pick he’d probably pick me” comment that he’s bowing to the expectation that no one in baseball would ever come out and say that he deserved it himself.
In the end: he comes off almost as self-contradictory as Buster Olney did the other day.
But just almost. Man, I’m still gobsmacked by Olney’s thing.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 94
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 44
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 32
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)