Oct 3, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Mike Tout was on NBC Sports Network’s SportsDash today and talked about the MVP. After some hemming and hawing he said that, if he had to pick, Miguel Cabrera would be the MVP. But then listen to him elaborate. Specifically listen to the tone of voice and some of his explanation around the choice and you can tell he bristles at the idea that you have to be on a playoff team to be the MVP. Then he says that if he had a vote, he’d vote for himself. Kinda joking, but kinda not?
You can tell that he’s trying to not be egotistical. You can tell by the “if Miguel had to pick he’d probably pick me” comment that he’s bowing to the expectation that no one in baseball would ever come out and say that he deserved it himself.
In the end: he comes off almost as self-contradictory as Buster Olney did the other day.
But just almost. Man, I’m still gobsmacked by Olney’s thing.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 17
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 25
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)