Pedro Martinez is writing a book

Oct 3, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT

pedro martinez shaving

If you’re enjoying Pedro Martinez on TBS’ postseason coverage there’s some more good news: He’s signed a deal with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt to write an autobiography, with an assist from Boston Herald columnist Michael Silverman.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt says the book will be called simply “Pedro” and will contain “lively, raw stories” about his soon-to-be Hall of Fame career with the Dodgers, Expos, Red Sox, Mets, and Phillies.

Martinez is one of my favorite players and is definitely one of the best, most interesting players of this era, so the book has the potential to be pretty good. If nothing else, the chapter about Don Zimmer should be worth reading.

1. bleedgreen - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I’m interested to see if he didn’t want to come back to the Phillies or Amaro didn’t want him back. He pitched pretty well for the Phils the second half of 2009.

• dcfan4life - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM

That situation was almost assuredly about money. Pedro’s ego and his hellish agent im sure had a lot to do with their contract demands and lack of resigning. The book will probably blame the Phillies of course tho.

2. rickdobrydney - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Obviously HE wont be writing the book , but it will be interesting to hear about the good old days as a head-hunting pitcher in the major leagues—–

3. rollinghighwayblues - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Speaking of TBS postseason coverage, I cannot stand Olbermann being the MC of the pregame stuff. There’s a reason why I refuse to watch his new show and watching him be a smug prick and belittle his colleagues solidified that for me last night.

• clydeserra - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM

he is smug. I don’t know if he is a prick.

But he is correct in his analysis more often than not.

4. rickdobrydney - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Olbermann=smug prick —- love that —–

5. lightcleric - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I really hope the Don Zimmer chapter is titled “Who’s Your Da-ddy?!”

6. rickdobrydney - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Yeah, as I recall Pedro the Hunter, in a big series with the Yankees in the early 2000’s, put Alphonso Soriano AND Derek Jeter in the hospital in the same night, after hitting them both. I hope THAT story is in the book. As well as a bunch of other gutless, bush ones.

• rollinghighwayblues - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Through the grapevine I heard that Vicente Padilla will be penning the preface.

7. Francisco (FC) - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM

That picture is begging for a caption:

“My – new – book, my – new – book,
    Gonna – write – me – a – Pe-dro – Book”

8. zzalapski - Oct 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM

My first thought at reading the headline was “well, NaNoWriMo is coming up soon”.

9. sbmcintosh36 - Oct 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Anybody know what language it will be in? ?
    I’m still trying to figure what language he speaks it’s of nothing I’ve ever heard.
    For those getting ready to type he’s from… . don’t it’s a joke the guys horrible his incoherent rambling is mind numbing

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2560)