Oct 3, 2013, 4:50 PM EST
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels told Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News that he’s leaning toward making a qualifying offer to impending free agent Nelson Cruz, which would either dramatically increase his odds of returning to Texas or crush his value on the open market.
Qualifying offers are essentially one-year, $14 million deals. Cruz could simply accept, in which case he’ll be back with the Rangers at that salary for 2014, or he could decline and then if/when he signs elsewhere the Rangers will get a draft pick as compensation.
As a 34-year-old coming off a 50-game suspension Cruz would probably struggle to generate a ton of multi-year interest as a free agent anyway, so he might be better off taking the one-year deal for what is a big salary and hitting the open market next year. How many other teams will be interested in losing a draft pick for the right to give him a big multi-year deal?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)