Rays pick Matt Moore for Game 1 start vs. Red Sox

Oct 3, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

matt moore square getty Getty Images

David Price pitched a complete game Monday and Alex Cobb threw 6.2 shutout innings Wednesday, so the Rays will turn to left-hander Matt Moore to start Game 1 of the ALDS against the Red Sox.

Moore will be followed in the ALDS rotation by Price, who’ll be working on full rest in Game 2, with Cobb expected to take Game 3 and Archer slated for Game 4.

Moore was fantastic in his second full season at age 23, going 17-4 with a 3.29 ERA in 27 starts. He walked 76 batters in 150 innings and uncorked a league-high 17 wild pitches, however, so controlling his excellent raw stuff will be a big factor against a patient Boston lineup that drew the second-most walks in the league.

1. 18thstreet - Oct 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM

If the Rays are going to start Matt Moore and David Price, then Xander Boegarts really ought to be getting more at bats. Sadly, I don’t think that will happen. I like the manager just fine, but his loyalty to Drew (against lefties) is misplaced.

The Red Sox lineup is much better against righties. As a Sox fan, I’m really concerned.

• mornelithe - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Any series against the Rays should be a concern, but the Sox have shown the ability to win even when hits are few and far between. Remember, Clay’s first game back he and the BP out-dueled Price, and Dempster and the BP out-dueled Hellickson, the following night. Had it not been for another disappointing outting by De La Rosa, who knows how the third game could’ve gone.

As long as Lester and the rest of the SP gained from the rest, they’ll keep the Sox in it. It’ll just be up to the offense to put some runs up on the board and given their production all season, it’s not a huge amount to expect.

• dan1111 - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Bogaerts has a lot of promise, but it would be quite a radical move to start a 20 year old rookie with 44 MLB at bats in the playoffs. I don’t think you can fault Farrell for not doing that.

• 18thstreet - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Chad Finn has said — and I agree — that Farrell is to blame for not getting Boegarts more at bats down the stretch to give him more information on which to base the decision. As a Sox fan, I hope Xander is as great as his hype. But there are plenty of examples of rookies contributing in big ways in the playoffs. Miguel Cabrera (who had half a season under his belt) was also a 20-year old when the Marlins won the 2003 World Series. Francisco Rodríguez was a 20-year old rooke who had pitched 5 regular season innings for the 2002 Angels, and then became an integral piece of their bullpen in the playoffs. It can happen.

2. raysfan1 - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I’m certainly not counting my chickens before they hatch–the Sox went 12-7 vs my Rays this year. However, to me, the way the rotation sets up for the Rays is almost ideal. If it goes to game 5, Price will be ready again on full rest thanks to playoff scheduling. Whichever team wins this series is going to have to earn it.

• mornelithe - Oct 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Agreed, it’s going to be a difficult series for both teams.

3. aceshigh11 - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM

This is gonna suck. The Sox won’t make it out of the ALDS.

• ras1tafari - Oct 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Agreed. The Rays pitching is too good. I think the Sox bats are going to slump after 4-5 days off, and the Rays are going to shut them down.

4. kinggator - Oct 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Go get’m Matty Moore!! Let the Beantown beating begin!

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (4221)