Oct 3, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The Pirates still have a long way to go in order to make a game out of this, but they are on the board against the Cardinals in Game 1 of the NLDS.
Pedro Alvarez, who tied for the NL lead with 36 homers in the regular season, led off the top of the fifth inning with a long solo home run against Adam Wainwright. Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News notes that the ball traveled an estimated 437 feet into the right field bleachers.
Wainwright sat down the next three batters he faced, including strikeouts of Clint Barmes and Jeanmar Gomez, so it’s 7-1 as we move to the bottom of the fifth inning. The Pirates have 12 more outs to chip away, but it’s not looking good right now.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 2
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 88
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (88)