Oct 3, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
The Pirates still have a long way to go in order to make a game out of this, but they are on the board against the Cardinals in Game 1 of the NLDS.
Pedro Alvarez, who tied for the NL lead with 36 homers in the regular season, led off the top of the fifth inning with a long solo home run against Adam Wainwright. Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News notes that the ball traveled an estimated 437 feet into the right field bleachers.
Wainwright sat down the next three batters he faced, including strikeouts of Clint Barmes and Jeanmar Gomez, so it’s 7-1 as we move to the bottom of the fifth inning. The Pirates have 12 more outs to chip away, but it’s not looking good right now.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27