Oct 4, 2013, 7:14 PM EST
The Braves got on the board against Dodgers starter Zack Greinke thanks to their handy shortstop. Evan Gattis, the goat of last night’s game, reached on a single to left, then advanced to second on a ground out. With two outs, shortstop Andrelton Simmons laced a double to right field, sailing over Yasiel Puig‘s head. Gattis scored easily, moving the Braves into a 1-1 tie with the Dodgers after two innings.
Simmons contributed yet again in the top of the third with a nifty 6-4-3 double play to end an impending Dodger threat. The speedy Carl Crawford had singled to lead off the inning and was attempting to reach second safely when A.J. Ellis hit a ground ball to Simmons. With very little time to spare, Simmons made a quick transfer to second baseman Elliott Johnson, who flipped the ball to first baseman Freddie Freeman to complete the double play. Via Chad Moriyama, you can see a .gif of the play by clicking here.
The game remains tied 1-1 with both starters settling down as we head into the middle innings.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)