Oct 4, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
The Braves got on the board against Dodgers starter Zack Greinke thanks to their handy shortstop. Evan Gattis, the goat of last night’s game, reached on a single to left, then advanced to second on a ground out. With two outs, shortstop Andrelton Simmons laced a double to right field, sailing over Yasiel Puig‘s head. Gattis scored easily, moving the Braves into a 1-1 tie with the Dodgers after two innings.
Simmons contributed yet again in the top of the third with a nifty 6-4-3 double play to end an impending Dodger threat. The speedy Carl Crawford had singled to lead off the inning and was attempting to reach second safely when A.J. Ellis hit a ground ball to Simmons. With very little time to spare, Simmons made a quick transfer to second baseman Elliott Johnson, who flipped the ball to first baseman Freddie Freeman to complete the double play. Via Chad Moriyama, you can see a .gif of the play by clicking here.
The game remains tied 1-1 with both starters settling down as we head into the middle innings.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)