Oct 4, 2013, 7:52 AM EDT
Breaking: Dusty Baker is out as Reds manager. The Associated Press had the first reports, and then the always reliable John Fay confirmed:
Confirmed: Dusty Baker is out as #Reds manager.
— John Fay (@johnfayman) October 4, 2013
We did not see this coming. Especially given that, just two days ago, Reds GM Walt Jocketty said that he did not think that there was any question that Baker would be back given that he was under contract through 2014. My guess: this was an ownership call.
Baker was 509-463 in six years as the Reds manager. He led them to two NL Central titles and, with this year’s wild card, he took them to the playoffs three times. But Baker’s performance in the playoffs has been harshly criticized by some in Cincinnati, and the Reds have yet to win a playoff series under him. They are 2-7 in the playoffs in that time. Of course the team had missed the playoffs for a dozen years running before he got there.
For Baker, you wonder if this is the end of the managing road. On the one hand, he obviously still knows what he’s doing, continues to maintain the confidence of his players and, based on the fact that the Reds have won 90+ games in three of the past four years, he’s obviously effective. On the other hand he’s 64 years-old and you wonder if he wants to start anew someplace else.
For everyone else: another plum manager’s job is open. Both Washington and Cincinnati are ready-made “win now” jobs that should attract a number of good candidates.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)