Oct 4, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
Free agent manager-to-be Joe Girardi is a very popular man right now, drawing interest from the Yankees, Cubs, and Nationals. The Yankees have already made Girardi an offer according to ESPN’s Andrew Marchand, though the specifics are not yet known. In Marchand’s words, the offer is “expected to be significant”. Yankees GM Brian Cashman is quoted as saying that Girardi will be given “a real good reason to stay.”
Meanwhile, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Cubs are willing to make Girardi one of the two highest-paid managers in baseball. Girardi spent the first four years of his career, and an additional three years at the end of his career, with the Cubs.
David Kaplan of CSN Chicago tweets that the Nationals have requested permission from the Yankees to interview Girardi. The Nationals have an opening following the retirement of Davey Johnson. Kaplan also suggests that the Reds, who fired Dusty Baker earlier, could have interest in obtaining Girardi’s services.
Girardi is still under contract with the Yankees through the end of October, so any team interested in negotiating with Girardi must obtain permission from the Yankees or wait until November 1.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)