Oct 4, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
Free agent manager-to-be Joe Girardi is a very popular man right now, drawing interest from the Yankees, Cubs, and Nationals. The Yankees have already made Girardi an offer according to ESPN’s Andrew Marchand, though the specifics are not yet known. In Marchand’s words, the offer is “expected to be significant”. Yankees GM Brian Cashman is quoted as saying that Girardi will be given “a real good reason to stay.”
Meanwhile, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Cubs are willing to make Girardi one of the two highest-paid managers in baseball. Girardi spent the first four years of his career, and an additional three years at the end of his career, with the Cubs.
David Kaplan of CSN Chicago tweets that the Nationals have requested permission from the Yankees to interview Girardi. The Nationals have an opening following the retirement of Davey Johnson. Kaplan also suggests that the Reds, who fired Dusty Baker earlier, could have interest in obtaining Girardi’s services.
Girardi is still under contract with the Yankees through the end of October, so any team interested in negotiating with Girardi must obtain permission from the Yankees or wait until November 1.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)