Oct 4, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Reports of Robinson Cano wanting a $300 million contract led to speculation that the big-budget Dodgers might try to steal him away from the big-budget Yankees, but Los Angeles owner Magic Johnson threw a bunch of cold water on that idea yesterday.
Speaking to a group of reporters before Game 1 of the NLDS last night, Johnson said:
When you’ve got to pay Clayton [Kershaw], there’s only so much you can do. I can’t say anything because that’s not up to just me. But a year or two from now, we’ve got Hanley [Ramirez] coming up, too. We’ve got guys that we’ve got to keep, and so the numbers probably just don’t add up. … I can’t talk about the other guy [Cano], but you already know that guy in New York is going to be paid. Not by us. But he’s going to get paid.
Obviously quotes in early October by a part owner not involved in actually player moves aren’t exactly binding, but we may have finally seen the first signs of the Dodgers actually having some payroll limits. And if the Dodgers aren’t in there driving up the bidding, how is Cano going to get to $300 million?
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)