Michael Weiner faces the twilight

Oct 4, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT

Michael Weiner AP

Union boss Michael Weiner doesn’t have long. His doctors say that his cancer will kill him in between two and six months.

However Chris Jones of ESPN the Magazine met with Weiner recently and what he found was a man who goes to work everyday and appears to have as healthy a perspective on his fate as anyone in his position might be expected to have.

Screw cancer. Seriously. Screw it sideways.

1. baseballici0us - Oct 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

“Screw cancer. Seriously. Screw it sideways.”

Amen, Craig! Amen!

2. cur68 - Oct 4, 2013 at 4:07 PM

When my time comes, I hope someone says something like that about me, too. Have some grace. Go with dignity.

• historiophiliac - Oct 4, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I never will understand the trolls who thumb down these kinds of posts/comments. Sigh.

• cur68 - Oct 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM

It doesn’t matter, really. In all likelihood most all of them come from one person. That person’s life is pretty much a waste.

3. dlf9 - Oct 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I[‘ve briefly met Weiner several years ago and know a couple of people that have worked with and against him over the years. Every contact I have speaks very, very highly of him both personally and professionally. I’m thrilled with most of what he has done as head of MLBPA and really appreciate the years of relative labor peace he and Rob Manfred have engineered.

F*CK Death.

4. esracerx46 - Oct 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

So sad to know you’re dying ( we all are, just a matter of when) and to know when you’re most likely going to die on top of it and theirs nothing you can do. If I were him I’d quit. Screw everyone else. Go skydiving, dive with sharks, enjoy life and live on the edge. After all, why not? Live like it’s your last because it might be. Actually that’s probably good advice for all of us. We need to loosen up and live a little more.

• lazlosother - Oct 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Nothing against anything you wrote, but maybe going to work is what he loves. Given how good he seems to be at it I wouldn’t be surprised.

5. losangelesfan - Oct 4, 2013 at 4:28 PM

We need to loosen up and live a little more.

Hear! Hear!

6. bengalsucker - Oct 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Cancer is a b****! It has hit my family hard, not unlike many other families. Kudos to this guy for living on and not letting it effect him like it does some! Go live life man! Go enjoy a bucket list. F*** work! lol Spend time with the family and make sure you live a blessed life! Your family will sure love it!

7. historiophiliac - Oct 4, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Well, shit.

8. thehawg - Oct 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Probably would lose his health insurance if he quit his job.

9. shadowshand - Oct 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM

The saddest comment for any reasons ” … but he doesn’t have the physical strength to defend the man who paid to get his from a needle.” Helluva a way to end your life, committed to defending someone who is most likely the antithesis of the career to which Weiner dedicated his life.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5208)