Oct 4, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
NLDS Game 2 between the Pirates and the Cardinals is, as I write this, in the top of the fifth inning. And the story today is very different than it was yesterday.
Pittsburgh leads 5-1 at the moment, and Pirates fans can thank Gerrit Cole for much of that margin. Cole is dealing, having sailed through the first four innings, allowing one hit and striking out three while tossing only 51 pitches. Cole plated the game’s first run with an RBI single in the second. The Pirates have added runs via a two-run homer from Pedro Alvarez in the third and a ground rule double from Marlon Byrd, which sent Justin Morneau home after a double of his own.
As the fifth inning wears on, Lance Lynn has just been pulled from the game by Mike Matheny, his last act issuing a walk to Alvarez. Two on, one out and the Pirates are threatening to score again and to even up the NLDS before it heads back to Pittsburgh.
UPDATE: Make that 5-0, as Russell Martin just singled in Byrd.
UPDATE 2: Make it 5-1 after five, as Yadier Molina hit a homer off Cole. Then Cole retired the side 1-2-3. We go on to the sixth.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)