Oct 4, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
NLDS Game 2 between the Pirates and the Cardinals is, as I write this, in the top of the fifth inning. And the story today is very different than it was yesterday.
Pittsburgh leads 5-1 at the moment, and Pirates fans can thank Gerrit Cole for much of that margin. Cole is dealing, having sailed through the first four innings, allowing one hit and striking out three while tossing only 51 pitches. Cole plated the game’s first run with an RBI single in the second. The Pirates have added runs via a two-run homer from Pedro Alvarez in the third and a ground rule double from Marlon Byrd, which sent Justin Morneau home after a double of his own.
As the fifth inning wears on, Lance Lynn has just been pulled from the game by Mike Matheny, his last act issuing a walk to Alvarez. Two on, one out and the Pirates are threatening to score again and to even up the NLDS before it heads back to Pittsburgh.
UPDATE: Make that 5-0, as Russell Martin just singled in Byrd.
UPDATE 2: Make it 5-1 after five, as Yadier Molina hit a homer off Cole. Then Cole retired the side 1-2-3. We go on to the sixth.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)